Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!

Options
  • 25-08-2017 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

I will be studying finance in UCC and to be quite frank, it was not what I intended. I had 8 other courses on top of that.
    I am a guy who loves business, and by business I mean the physical hands on business, buying stuff, and then selling on for profit.
    I have been on numerous business ventures, starting off with car led lights, buying them from ebay and selling it for a euro profit, to selling cars for 500E profits. I have made lots of money and bought huge orders and sold bunk loads of various items ranging over 500Es. I even got a call by adverts and ebay, asking if I would like to open up a shop account, because of my successful dealings. Which I did accept and I was offered to pay no fees whenever I sell something for a year.
    And its not the money side that only intrigues money, but the risk, the investment, the fun factor, the way it keeps me busy. Its like a hobby and passion that I love, and if I had a choice, would sacrifice uni just to continue, as its what makes me happy.
    But what I do hate, and I have in the past from experience working in shops and other people, is not being my own boss. I don't like working in a project with other people or even working as part of a team.
    I want to make decisions and do everything I can on my own, assign tasks, decide whats the goals etc. Not that I think I know everything and I'm better, but solely because, I work best that way.

I hope on opening my own gym, and going into property development, opening stores, takeaways etc, etc. Basically, a tycoon.
    It seems like a wish washy dream, but its what makes me happy, even if I make 1E profit out of it, I will still do all that. Hence the reason why I had finance last, I hoped on doing some health science course, getting a few quid off that and investing that in these ventures. I have performed exceptionally well in both business and economics in the leaving cert, but tbh, I am just bored of studying them.

Now to go back on track, basically I got finance, and I don't have much idea about it, I looked at the modules, the years, and the course content and what I will be exposed to. But thats about that, I found finance course in UCC review on boards, but its from like 6 years ago.
    So I thought this might be the best forum, but what can I expect from finance down the line, career wise, pay wise, can I go on and actuary ?. I don't mind going through the brokering or investment banking route, but I def don't want to be doing accountancy.
    I also heard you have to have good persuation skills, which I don't have at all, I am working on my communications skills atm with my encounter of selling stuff to customers, but that's about that. Do you know of people in the finance sector, how are they finding it ?.

I am also been getting quite a slagging, for doing finance, you can imagine, if I have medicine,dentistry and pharmacy down, I get a complete opposite career path. I get stuff like ''you study is not hard anyways like med students'' and most people I tell that I am going to do finance, they don't seem to be much glad or praise, compared to first class presumption med and dentistry has.
    Why is that ? They think its something anyone can get into, and its not competitive or ''fancy'' at all. What are your opinions.

I know this is long, but its my future, and I had never thought a day would come where I'd write a 2 page essay on boards.ie. to those who read I congratulate !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mach 3

"!" Should read "I" (51 times plus variations). The other person who uses it more, ended up as president of the United States.

You have a promising career ahead; Go get 'em kid.

Advertisement