Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Au Pairs, Employees, PRSI and Tax

Options
  • 24-08-2017 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I am considering getting an au pair next year. Can I please get people's views/experience on how many people are registering them as employees for tax purposes? TBH I haven't come across anyone that has registered them with revenue yet, but I'd be interested to know how common/uncommon this practise is? For those (if any) that have- how easy did they find it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I phoned revenue a couple of years ago on this. They directed me to the Department of Justice. Here's what I got from them.

See below:

The Irish Department of Justice: The au pair stay "is regarded as a private, voluntary matter between the parties concerned on the basis of a shared understanding. Therefore, such persons are not regarded as employees but are received by a family and treated as a family member in exchange for certain services, such as limited amounts of housework or baby-sitting. This activity is regarded as primarily cultural rather than economic.”

I think where it all goes wrong, is when people expect au pairs to do a 40 hour+ week,, cleaning, cooking, minding children and being a housekeeper. That is NOT an au pair.

An au pair is someone who does ~20 hours a week, and is brought to parties, to the zoo, on holidays etc, the same as your own children. We see our au pair more as a substitute older sibling than an employee. We give her spending money to go out, and cover phone sim, leap card and of course all food and drinks. She can bring her friends over if she likes, with arrangement first.

Advertisement