Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honours system for graduate degrees

Options
  • 24-08-2017 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

I am having a comically/tragically difficult time discovering the answer to what I thought was a simple question.

I am American. I have completed a MA in Gaelic Literature from UCC and will graduate in the spring. My marks, including dissertation, are 80% or higher. I understand that this would translate to "first-class honours" if it were an undergraduate degree. What I cannot get an answer to is this: what type of honour/distinction/etc. would be afforded a *graduate* degree with these marks?

I have queried UCC on this at least five different times and every. single. time. the only response I get is the Irish equivalent to the undergraduate American GPA system. I don't think anyone is paying attention to my actual question: with what honour/distinction/etc. -- if any -- will I graduate in the spring as a Master of Arts? Is it "first" as in undergrad, or is there a different system for graduate degrees?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Yoop_

You will have a first class honours degree. All the grading information for all courses is in the Marks and Standards section of the College Calendar.

https://www.ucc.ie/admin/registrar/marksandstandards/2017CACSSS.pdf

Page 386 for your MA.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 TheZenMonkey

Yoop, thank you so much! If only anybody I'd asked at UCC ever pointed me to this document. (Yes, to be fair, it's a bit of a travesty I couldn't locate it on my own; clearly there's some things book-larnin' -- as they call it here -- just can't help.) I appreciate you going to the extent of finding the very page number for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Yoop_

Yoop, thank you so much! If only anybody I'd asked at UCC ever pointed me to this document. (Yes, to be fair, it's a bit of a travesty I couldn't locate it on my own; clearly there's some things book-larnin' -- as they call it here -- just can't help.) I appreciate you going to the extent of finding the very page number for me.

No problem at all. Well done on the great result :)

Advertisement