Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Planning Required for Timber External Cladding?

Options
  • 24-08-2017 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

Has anyone put timber cladding on their house? Did you need pp?

I got a reply from the planning office that said that they would formally answer my question under

"...Section 5 of the Planning Act 2000 any person may request in writing from the Planning Authority a declaration as to what, in any particular case, is or is not development or is not exempted development within the meaning of the Planning Act 2000.:"

"In the case of external insulation the applicant should include elevational photographs (existing) and details of the type / colour / thickness of render to be applied (manufactures brochure)."

I wonder does "render" here include wood?

Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Esho wrote: »
    Has anyone put timber cladding on their house? Did you need pp?

I got a reply from the planning office that said that they would formally answer my question under

"...Section 5 of the Planning Act 2000 any person may request in writing from the Planning Authority a declaration as to what, in any particular case, is or is not development or is not exempted development within the meaning of the Planning Act 2000.:"

"In the case of external insulation the applicant should include elevational photographs (existing) and details of the type / colour / thickness of render to be applied (manufactures brochure)."

I wonder does "render" here include wood?

Any advice much appreciated.

It could be argued that it will be materially different from adjoining structures and thus require planning.

A section 5 is a formal process where the council will officially tell you if you require planning or not. You can include drawings, material samples etc as part of the section 5 application.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Yes the word 'render' in this context includes wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

This came up locally recently, the person argued that cladding was exempt. The Planning authority declared that it wasn't, as the cladding wasn't consistent with adjoin/adjacent houses. Applicant applied for retention this was refused and ultimately the house had to be reinstated to its original finishes.

http://www.eplanning.ie/MonaghanCC/AppFileRefDetails/13257/0

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

My insurer will not insure a house with timber cladding. Might be something worth looking into if you haven't already.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

Thanks very much. I didn't even think about insurance @Colonel_Claptrap, will check. Thanks @BryanF . and thanks @kceire - that saves me 80 e that will go towards the planning application..

My reason for wanting timber cladding is to put in external insulation that I have the skills to do myself and that will work out cheaper than getting someone else to do it. I'll have a think and re-cost. All the best

• Advertisement
Advertisement