Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uberchild Travel System

Options
  • 24-08-2017 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

Hi, my wife and I are due our first child later this year. We are looking at purchasing an Uberchild travel system. Unfortunately, they are only available online so we can't check them out before buying. They are an Irish company and the price is great.
    Seems too good to be true!!
    Anyone here have one???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

There was a thread not so long ago discussing the Ultimo

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057667501/1/#post104322177

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Lumina

We got the 250euro 3-in-1. It arrived fine. Good product on a par with the 1000euro ones I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭BriarPatch

I also got the cheapest model, have been using it since June and really happy with it so far! My only complaint is that my son is very tall and he seems a bit squished into the carseat!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Yogaqueen

Ive seen buggies like these on donedeal brand new from a 'warehouse/shop'. I had a feeling that the prices where too good to be true and that its not possible the sellers products confirm to Irish safety standards. Turns out my gut feeling is right.
    Just be careful lads buying .

This is quoted from the Uberchild website.

''Please be wary of imitation products. These imitations do NOT have all of the safety certificates required to sell within the UK, Ireland or some countries in Europe. Ask within for more details.''

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pipperary

I got the ultimo delivered this this is serious bang for your buck. I had looked at the uppababy cossato buggaboo silver cross graco and icandy 3 in one alternative. This thing beats them hands down in terms of sturdiness. I also went for the three wheels option , the wheels are inflatable so it's great of foothpaths too. It's not the most colourful or the lightest option. But it's still easy to lift if you are even average at lifting. Over all it's by far the strongest most robust travel system I have handled. The only minus is if you go for inflatable tyres it's slightly more clunky in a small car boot . I think you can get standard wheels also. Still for the price I can't believe what you get. By a country mile the best value around.

On the safety standard thing uberchild complies with the same safety standard all other manufacturers I listed above do too EN 1888:2012 and as a result are CE marked. But I would air on the side of caution if buying from under registered company or a warehouse that doesn't disclose it's EC declaration of conformity on request. Also always check compliance to a fire safety standard it's just as important as safety. I work in industrial compliance so it's one area I always check before buying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Sienaa

They have rebranded to Infababy now.
    We got Moto travel system still with Uberchild branding. We were very impressed at the start, good quality, very easy to drive /turn.

Buuuut the pram is tiny, baby outgrowed it while on holidays. He was nearly 4 months only and 8,6kg. Also the stroller part cannot be used for him as it cannot be positioned flat, so only useful from 6 months onwards. Completely useless for us, and total waste of money!

Ended up buying new stroller while on hols, that goes down flat.

Also the car seat is meant for babies up to 13 kg, we have 1cm left to outgrow it, currently we are 9 kg. Also we had to take out the infant insert as it got to small and his head is going side to side now. This didn't happen with the rental car seat without insert on holidays - Also up to 13kg and it was much bigger than the uberchild one.

So nooo it's not worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pipperary

Sienaa wrote: »
    We got Moto travel system still with Uberchild branding. We were very impressed at the start, good quality, very easy to drive /turn.

Buuuut the pram is tiny, baby outgrowed it while on holidays. He was nearly 4 months only and 8,6kg. Also the stroller part cannot be used for him as it cannot be positioned flat, so only useful from 6 months onwards. Completely useless for us, and total waste of money!

Also the car seat is meant for babies up to 13 kg, we have 1cm left to outgrow it, currently we are 9 kg. Also we had to take out the infant insert as it got to small and his head is going side to side now. This didn't happen with the rental car seat without insert on holidays - Also up to 13kg and it was much bigger than the uberchild one.

Reading about the infababy option , this is not a rebranding. The company is still called uberchild. However infachild is a registered trademark of the uberchild brand. Basically it owns the intellectual property to that specific product variation (infababy applies to the Moto only). While I can't comment on the Moto as I purchased the Ultimo , but in relation to sizes and dimensions of products I do know sizes for both prams and car seats are regulated by the safety standards , this is because of the balancing requirements for all travel systems ie all prams are a standard length depth and width relative to the center of gravity and wheel base . If your child has outgrown a pram or car seat in that weight range , the brand is irrelevant as all other 0-13kg car seats for example are identical back and seat dimensions.
    Again with all 0-13kg car seats the dimensions of the seat are laid down in ECE R44/04 and the Harmonised British standard. Basically it the same with all prams it's relative to a weight rating.

However a common misconception with car seats is that the baby has out grown them when their legs over hang the seat. A child has only outgrown a car seat when their head is above the outer support. Its critical to replace them at this point with a +13kg option however moving on too early is equally not recommended.

There is zero difference in these dimensions regardless of the brand.

From my uberchild experience I did enquire with uberchild about neck support as this is an option with most seats, however they offer no such option. This is disappointing as car seats can vary in padding provided , and offering a separate neck support always gives better flexibility for stripping padding if the child is a little broader for their age.

Interestingly a recent survey showed only 20% of baby seats are fitted correctly. Most common mistake is using an isofix base that doesn't place the child horizontal , also experts recommend not using isofix bases until the child is 6w+ and neck muscles develop sufficiently. To be honest with so much going on in life with a new child it's easy to position a seat incorrectly.

Pipperary wrote: »
    Reading about the infababy option , this is not a rebranding. The company is still called uberchild. However infachild is a registered trademark of the uberchild brand. Basically it owns the intellectual property to that specific product variation (infababy applies to the Moto only). While I can't comment on the Moto as I purchased the Ultimo , but in relation to sizes and dimensions of products I do know sizes for both prams and car seats are regulated by the safety standards , this is because of the balancing requirements for all travel systems ie all prams are a standard length depth and width relative to the center of gravity and wheel base . If your child has outgrown a pram or car seat in that weight range , the brand is irrelevant as all other 0-13kg car seats for example are identical back and seat dimensions.
    Again with all 0-13kg car seats the dimensions of the seat are laid down in ECE R44/04 and the Harmonised British standard. Basically it the same with all prams it's relative to a weight rating.

However a common misconception with car seats is that the baby has out grown them when their legs over hang the seat. A child has only outgrown a car seat when their head is above the outer support. Its critical to replace them at this point with a +13kg option however moving on too early is equally not recommended.

There is zero difference in these dimensions regardless of the brand.

From my uberchild experience I did enquire with uberchild about neck support as this is an option with most seats, however they offer no such option. This is disappointing as car seats can vary in padding provided , and offering a separate neck support always gives better flexibility for stripping padding if the child is a little broader for their age.

Interestingly a recent survey showed only 20% of baby seats are fitted correctly. Most common mistake is using an isofix base that doesn't place the child horizontal , also experts recommend not using isofix bases until the child is 6w+ and neck muscles develop sufficiently. To be honest with so much going on in life with a new child it's easy to position a seat incorrectly.

I have to disagree.

I have left 1cm to outgrow the head rest, feet are already over the seat. This was not the case of the other also approved car seat. The most noticeable difference was it was much deeper than the uberchild one.
    Also my baby preferred the other car seat better, he would only sleep in uberchild one no more than 30- 40min in the car and once the eyes opened he would fuss and cry, but this didn't happen in the other one, he would happily sit there and play.
    In regards to the isofix, we have it horizontally fitted as it is possible in our car to add the wedge to make this happen. But I agree without the wedge (not supplied by the company by the way) it would be impossible to use for child as it is to high up.

Also the pram is small, don't know what is the standard, but my sisters one is way bigger. It's true it might be proportioned to the frame, because uberchild one next to my sisters pram, also travel system, looks like a toy pram.

But that's just my experience with the brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

I got the uberchild buggy and am thrilled with it, I didn't go for the car seat though I went with a much better brand as I'd saved on the buggy price. I got the Kiddy evo lunafix which is a lie flat car seat, I was delighted with it and it clipped into the uberchild buggy with the adaptors. My lo is 14 months now and is happy in the buggy, so I would recommend it as it is a huge saving on the ones in the shops!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭scunermac

Pipperary wrote: »
    I got the ultimo delivered this this is serious bang for your buck. I had looked at the uppababy cossato buggaboo silver cross graco and icandy 3 in one alternative. This thing beats them hands down in terms of sturdiness. I also went for the three wheels option , the wheels are inflatable so it's great of foothpaths too. It's not the most colourful or the lightest option. But it's still easy to lift if you are even average at lifting. Over all it's by far the strongest most robust travel system I have handled. The only minus is if you go for inflatable tyres it's slightly more clunky in a small car boot . I think you can get standard wheels also. Still for the price I can't believe what you get. By a country mile the best value around.

We are also considering the Ultimo as it seems to really stack up well against the expensive brands.
    It seems to be comparable to the iCandy Peach based on the images I can find. Would that be a fair comparison?

Also, I have seen very few complaints about it, but some do highlight that the infant car seat that is provided with the Ultimo does not have any head support for the baby. Is this true?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Talula_d

scunermac wrote: »
    We are also considering the Ultimo as it seems to really stack up well against the expensive brands.
    It seems to be comparable to the iCandy Peach based on the images I can find. Would that be a fair comparison?

Also, I have seen very few complaints about it, but some do highlight that the infant car seat that is provided with the Ultimo does not have any head support for the baby. Is this true?

Did you get the Ultimo? If so what is it like? Are you happy with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭McCloskey_A

Talula_d wrote: »
    Did you get the Ultimo? If so what is it like? Are you happy with it?

We did, it arrived yesterday and is very sturdy and solid, can’t see any issues so far!
    Serious value for money,

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

How did you take out the infant insert? I can't get mine out!!
    Sienaa wrote: »

Aisk90 wrote: »
    How did you take out the infant insert? I can't get mine out!!

It was a real struggle to get it over the buckle. I just just wiggled and bended it until it gave in. There should be a better way to do it though.

Advertisement