Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have games that you started (and liked) but never got around to beating?

Options
  • 24-08-2017 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭

For me it was Final Fantasy VII.

After starting it for the first time 7 years ago, I still haven't beat it. I got as far as the final section of the game
    (specifically, the final form of the final boss, 'Safer Sephiroth')
    , and after so many attempts, I came to the conclusion that I was under-levelled and under-equipped, and I haven't really tried to go back to it since.

The one and only save file that belongs to it is on my PSP, and that console hasn't came out of its pouch since 2011. I have tried starting over on two occasions since, once on PC last year and this year on the PS4. My short attention span is the biggest curse I have, it always has been, as it has caused me to never finish a lot of games, inlcuding L.A. Noire and Fallout New Vegas, but Final Fantasy VII is the one that sticks in my head when I remind myself of games I have still to try beat. I know so much about the game and its lore, characters, etc. yet the one thing I cannot admit to is beating it.

Who else has been in this situation? Surely I'm not the only one.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Vagrant Story

Absolutely loved it but dear god the difficulty curve at the end of the game is extreme, especially if you haven't crafted the right weapon classes. And I played it on an emulator so I had the (unfair) advantage of instant save/load states. I can only imagine the PS1 version magnified the difficulty significantly with save rooms.

Still incredible fun though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

That was me in Final Fantasy 9 (I think)

It was during my stupid phase where I only had 1 save and I remember there was a Save just before a boss I think it was some kind of spider which got healed with fire and most of my magics were fire based. Come to think of it was it 7 and did Vincent have a lottery overdrive. I can not remember.

There has been a number of games where I get so far then either a new game comes out or I watch a full series of something and by the time I get back to the game I can't remember where I am what I have done and what I need to do. At the moment it is Final Fantasy 12 it has been 2 weeks and if I do not get back to it this week I am afraid I will forget where
    I am Just met the old race (forgot there name) about the magicite how to power it up again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭ozmo

Never got to the end if HL2 on pc - tried twice but kept feeling motion/sea sick at the long long airboat levels.

Star wars force unleashed- was enjoying it so much -but knew almost complete so was saving final few levels for another day - lost save. Must dig out my 360 again for it...

I did finish those other two games you mention L.A. Noire and Fallout New Vegas - they were worth playing til the end.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

ozmo wrote: »

I did finish those other two games you mention L.A. Noire and Fallout New Vegas - they were worth playing til the end.

I didn't finish LA Noire because I actually didn't enjoy the
    vice chapter
    and just got put off - patiently waiting for it to become backwards compatible so I can maybe try again. And New Vegas is a strange one, I have so many hours logged into it both on console and PC - hundreds. I deliberately didn't finish it because I knew it would end after - and I wanted to do everything the game had to offer. Alas, I never did do everything and so I probably won't see the ending (unless I use the mod that lets you continue after the credits on PC, but I rarely ever play my PC games anymore)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭ozmo

If I remember correctly, I think those fallout hanes let you play on if you leave all the end credits to play without interrupting them- or it drops you back at a place just before you complete it..

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

• I never cleared Skyrim, even after putting over 100 hours in. I just could never be bothered with the main quests, and stuck with the factions and side quests.
    • FF9 as well, never managed to clear that. Got pretty far into it, but never go around to beating the final boss.
    • Metal Gear Solid on the PS. Got to the final boss (Metal Gear Ray?), and my save file got corrupted. No way i was going through that again.

Yakuza on the ps2. Started it, fell out of it, watched my brother finish it. Never felt the need to finish it myself then. Also skyrim on the ps3. Put loads of time into it and got close to the end of the story but I just packed it in. After playing the witcher I don't think I could ever go back to skyrim.

ozmo wrote: »
    Never got to the end if HL2 on pc - tried twice but kept feeling motion/sea sick at the long long airboat levels.

that was the crappiest part of hl2 for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 The Nigerian Prince

Started S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl but I never finished it because I was pure spooked

Might go back and complete it now though after I played through the Metro series on the highest difficulty

Advertisement