Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Andy Lee and Jason Quigley

Options
  • 23-08-2017 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭

What's going on with him at the moment? I don't see any bout scheduled for this year?
    Also, what about that lad, Quigley?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Lee has been in limbo contemplated retirement I think . Think Quigley had surgery recently on his hand and is on the mend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Quigley has had a setback with his injury, will be longer now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Thought Andy had retired tbh. Quigley is on a bit of a holiday at the moment with injuries. I've known Quigley for a good while now. Got a snap from one of our mutual friends a while back of them on the piss. Had a big f*ck off cast on his hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Latest I've heard about Lee is a big fight around November time. Wouldn't be surprised if it was Danny Jacobs or someone like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Quigley messed up his hand / wrist very badly against Tapia. Had extensive surgery & treatment. He has been spending a lot of time at home promoting his brand locally.
    He's a good lad, hope he gets his World title eventually. He was due a return to the ring in the next few weeks but i think that's been postponed to December / new year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

A bad break like that isnt good at all . Hopefully he gives it all the time it needs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

Actually heard Andy on 'The Last Word' on Today FM today giving his opinion on the upcoming farce and there's no doubt about it he is so articulate and knowledgeable on the sport he puts so-called 'journalists' to shame. He really has a bright future as an analyst if he decides to go down that route on a regular basis.

He wasn't asked about his own plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

megadodge wrote: »
    Actually heard Andy on 'The Last Word' on Today FM today giving his opinion on the upcoming farce and there's no doubt about it he is so articulate and knowledgeable on the sport he puts so-called 'journalists' to shame. He really has a bright future as an analyst if he decides to go down that route on a regular basis.

He wasn't asked about his own plans.

I wonder have Sky ever asked him to work for them. He would be a lot better than Froch and some of the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lachatnostra

hopefully andy doesnt retire love see him fight again. nice guy too

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

pac_man wrote: »
    The knowledge that he would have attained from working with the likes of Zaur Anita, Emmanuel Steward, Adam Booth and the manner in which he explains things, I've a feeling he'd be a very good coach.

Was Antia involved in the Irish set up back when Andy Lee was amateur?

Either way he is a smart and well spoken fella.

I had thought that he had hinted a few months that he might get something lined up for before the end of the year.....I think maybe people were guessing at the time that he might be getting in against GGG before the Canelo fight was announced. I think he had agreed to fight him before but something happened to someone who was close to Golovkin. Maybe his father got sick or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

It won't be easy for Andy to get a decent fight. He won't settle for anything less than a reasonable payday & rightfully so at this stage of his career.

There was talk of a Daniel Jacobs match or a rematch with Quilin, but it looks like he has moved up in weight.

I'm happy for Lee that he has got his World title. A good few years back he was rivalled by Macklin & Duddy. I think Lee would have came out the better of the three if they had fought each other. It would have made a great domestic dust up had it happened but the hard times of recession made a balls of Irish pro boxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

boxer.fan wrote: »
    It won't be easy for Andy to get a decent fight. He won't settle for anything less than a reasonable payday & rightfully so at this stage of his career.

There was talk of a Daniel Jacobs match or a rematch with Quilin, but it looks like he has moved up in weight.

I'm happy for Lee that he has got his World title. A good few years back he was rivalled by Macklin & Duddy. I think Lee would have came out the better of the three if they had fought each other. It would have made a great domestic dust up had it happened but the hard times of recession made a balls of Irish pro boxing.

Back in the day I'd have always fancied Macklin to win between the three. Macklin was always a hardy fecker. I mean, in fairness to Lee he always stuck in there too when the going got tough and pulled a couple of almost lost causes out of the bag. I remember seeing Lee box in the stadium the night he won his first senior title. He stood out as very classy back then. I just always felt Macklin would have beaten him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Andy was a bit unlucky with his timing in that he only got to sample the excellence of the high performance unit for a year and a bit before he moved on. He's an intelligent and articulate guy as has been mentioned, so I respect his decision to turn pro when he did, but I'd still love him to have stayed on till 2008. He had unfinished business from Athens, should not have lost that fight. I think the occasion got to him and he failed to produce his best. I'd love to see the IABA approach guys like that and try to coax them onto the coaching ladder while theyre still young, but unfortunately dont see it happening as the funds are not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Andy Lee has announced his retirement from boxing. Shame he never he got that big fight on Irish soil. Good to see him go out his own terms though. Proper class act.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭hbhook

This has probably been said already but he signed to fight GGG when no one else would at the time. He has definitely got a gig at ringside though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Andy was always a great boxer to watch. I think he always carried deficiencies into the pro game (no head movement, straight lines, too upright) but in fairness he mixed it with the best and got his moment at the top. When I think of a lot of the sh*te or mediocre fights I've watched over the years I don't think I've ever been bored watching Andy's fights. His amateur career alone was marvellous and a credit to him. Arguably one of the greatest Irish fighters ever I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Smart move by Andy as with all things considered it is the right time to go. He's been a World Champion, made some good money, has all his marbles, a nice home in Dublin and a kid on the way. Also I am confident that he will stay away.

Glad to say I was at his last fight, the Sipos fight, the Quillin fight and the one that probably saved his career the Johnson spectacular ko. Still regret not making it to Vegas.

And it is true what they say. Andy is nicest guy around!

Enjoy your retirement Andy and thank you for representing your country proudly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

One of the nicest blokes you could ever meet, an absolute gent credit to boxing and to the country as a whole. His win over Korobov is along with Fury beating Wlad my personal boxing highlight. A roller coaster career from being a seriously hyped prospect, shock loss to Vera, then rebuilds only to loose to Chavez Jr who was basically a cruiser weight come fight time. Then loosing his trainer and mentor Manny. I must admit I've counted out Andy many times, thought when he scraped based a journeyman in Denmark it was all over, then way down on the cards ices Jackson with a KO of the year. Loosing to Korobov pulls it out again. Gets the draw against Quillin. 

One of the most exciting careers to follow so many twists and turns, excellent fights, setbacks and victory. Andy a true gent and true warrior i'll miss him, Limericks finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,617 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Andy comes across a gentleman. Seen him in the National Stadium a few times over the past year or so. Full of smiles and always looking jovial and approachable...

Was not his biggest fan as regards what I thought of him in the pro game, but he sure did excite me in his fights....

Had some beautiful KOs, and that Carl Daniels one from a few years ago is actually a top ten ever KO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭clubwelly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭clubwelly

I met Andy in Manchester after a Terry Flanagan fight. It was the second time his fight with Billy Joe Saunders got cancelled.
    Really nice guy, chatted away to us even thou it must have been disappointing for him not to be fighting that nite.

Hopefully he's used more on radio now. I enjoy listening to him on off the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I wonder who Jason Quigley will fight next. I know he has just come back from a long injury. Was the guy he beat any good?

Advertisement