Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need European Language for LCVP?

Options
  • 23-08-2017 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm thinking of doing LCVP, but I have dropped german.
    I have read here Examinations Website

"Students opting for an alternative to the Leaving Certificate Modern European Language or who are exempt from studying Irish must take an additional subject to ensure a minimum of 5 Leaving Certificate subjects."

Is it true I only need 5 subjects?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

In the sense that you need 5 LC "traditional" subjects plus the Link Modules to be considered to have a "full" LC under this programme, yes.

Most schools timetable for a minimum of 6 subjects and the LCVP modules though.
    SEC wrote:
    As an LCVP student, you must take a minimum of five Leaving Certificate Subjects (at Higher, Ordinary or Foundation Level) including Irish

Two of the above must be selected from one of the designated Vocational Subject Groupings listed in the table below.

You must study the two Link Modules, namely Preparation for the World of Work and Enterprise Education and

You will be required to follow a recognised course in a Modern European Language (other than Irish or English).

Click!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 WDButton

In the sense that you need 5 LC "traditional" subjects plus the Link Modules to be considered to have a "full" LC under this programme, yes.

Most schools timetable for a minimum of 6 subjects and the LCVP modules though.

So If I have all the other LCVP requirements and the minimum 5 subjects, I can do LCVP without a language?

On that specific bit, I actually don't know how they reconcile the difference between these two statements:

"You will be required to follow a recognised course in a Modern European Language (other than Irish or English)"

and

"Students opting for an alternative to the Leaving Certificate Modern European Language"

I know exemptions from the language requirement for entry to colleges can be granted to those with dyslexia, etc., but the phrase "opting for an alternative" seems to suggest circumstances in which there is more of an element of choice involved.

If spurious happens by, she might be able to shed additional light on the subject, she would be more familiar with LCVP than I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Hulgerx10

WDButton wrote: »
    So If I have all the other LCVP requirements and the minimum 5 subjects, I can do LCVP without a language?

I understand that this is purely anecdotal, but I didn't have a language and I completed LCVP just fine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think the 'opting for' might cover Japanese etc., but don't quote me on that.
    I don't think there is a way around the language requirement without an exemption.
    I will try ask someone who knows tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

In my school they have what they call 'ab initio' class for LCVP students. They have 1 class per week in a foreign language where they do the basics of that language to meet the LCVP requirement if they are not studying a foreign language for LC. I presume that this is the norm in schools. This is separate from regular French/German LC classes. Actually last year I think they did Spanish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

we used to call LCVP lick a vuh pah, it was a language in of itself

Thanks Neon, that sorts everything out!! :pac: :pac:

In my school they have what they call 'ab initio' class for LCVP students. They have 1 class per week in a foreign language where they do the basics of that language to meet the LCVP requirement if they are not studying a foreign language for LC. I presume that this is the norm in schools. This is separate from regular French/German LC classes. Actually last year I think they did Spanish.

Possibly this is because they didn't have 5 subjects minimum alternative to the language

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

WDButton wrote: »
    Possibly this is because they didn't have 5 subjects minimum alternative to the language

No, I am a teacher in my school. The students all do 7 subjects for LC plus LCVP if they choose it. The only ones who are doing less are the ones who have an exemption from Irish, so they do 6 and LCVP if they have opted for it.

• Advertisement

No, I am a teacher in my school. The students all do 7 subjects for LC plus LCVP if they choose it. The only ones who are doing less are the ones who have an exemption from Irish, so they do 6 and LCVP if they have opted for it.

State Examinations Website States:
    Students opting for an "alternative" to the Leaving Certificate Modern European Language or who are exempt from studying Irish must take an "additional subject" to ensure a minimum of 5 Leaving Certificate subjects.

Could this additional subject be anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

It's the same in my school, OP, there's a French class put on once a week for LCVP students who don't have a language. It's for beginners and doesn't have any exam or anything! So if you're school doesn't have compulsory foreign language studies than chances are they'll offer this too! Talk to your lcvp teacher at the start of the year and they'll surely know what to do for your case

Advertisement