Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jean-Frans Millet

Options
  • 23-08-2017 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭

I have to admit I've never heard of him until today, when one of his paintings "the gleaners" was featured on Wikipedia main page, all in spite of the fact that a print of this exact painting has been hanging in my home place as long as I can remember.

6-The-Gleaners-Jean-Francois-Millet-360x360.jpg

Comments

Jean Francois Millet. Also painted the Angelus, as featured in one of the great videos of the 80s...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Art didn't always pay the bills, hence the army surplus store just off Capel St.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The Milletary Shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

I have to admit I've never heard of him until today, when one of his paintings "the gleaners" was featured on Wikipedia main page, all in spite of the fact that a print of this exact painting has been hanging in my home place as long as I can remember.

Jean Francois Millet. Also painted the Angelus, as featured in one of the great videos of the 80s...

Both prints hung in my parents' front room for many a year. Actually I say "hung" but they could still be there. Some things become so familiar you stop noticing them. Must check - beautiful paintings.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,110 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Not to be picky, but it's Jean-Francois Millet.

You can see more of his sruff here
    http://www.artrenewal.org/pages/artist.php?artistid=745
    but in order to really appreciate his stuff you haveto see it hanging in a gallery.

(I know that's true of most artists, but it's particularly the case with him)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement