Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treating Old External Wall before Painting

Options
  • 23-08-2017 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

Am hoping for advice on painting an external wall. It is the outside of an extension which was probably built in the 70's. Areas of the wall had patches of bubbles and flakiness so I tried scrubbing, then scraping. Some areas are very difficult to shift and there appears to be some kind of green mould underneath some of the old paint.

I attach a photo and would like to know what I should do to remove all the problem paint and then prepare the area for a fresh coat of Weathershield. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Can't open that link ( fault at my end I think ) but you need to hit the wall with a good pressure washer ( even a home-use washer like a Karcher if it has the "dirt buster" attachment. ). Treat the wall before pressure washing with a decent fungicide ( Fleetwood do a good one as does sandtex). Power wash the wall. Hit it a 2nd time with the fungicide. then add a product called "Owatrol E-B" to your paint.It is recommended to use a mix of 3 parts paint to 1 part E-B ON THE FIRST COAT ONLY. I generally just throw in a mix of about 10:1. This will make any water based paint stick to irtually anything. Its a bit expensive but well worth it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

I'd be putting a stabilising solution paint on after you do all the donkey work before you put any type of exterior emulsion on it.

the E-B is a stabiliser

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Scribbler100

Thanks so much for the replies. Have spent the last two weeks painting the pebbledash house and thought the extension would be the easy bit :rolleyes:

Will go about sourcing a pressure washer, fungicide and the Owatral E-B. I'd imagine this job will take a good while longer than anticipated. Probably have to leave it a couple of days to dry between each stage? Firstly applying fungicide, then power washing, re-painting with fungicide, then finish with paint/stabiliser mix then final coat of paint.

I know it will be worth it though, rather than having the paint begin to lift away after a short while. Thanks again, I wouldn't have know where to start tackling this.

48hrs after first fungicide. power wash and 2 nd fungicide can be done on the one day ( just let walls dry after power wash). Then, following day, paint.

• Advertisement

Thanks a million, dok_golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭skydish79

Hi just wondering how did the walls turn out?

Which fungicidal treatment did you use

Turned out really well, still looking respectable. I think I used the Fleetwood fungicide.

Advertisement