Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employment Rights - Sick Pay

Options
  • 23-08-2017 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Last month the company I work for stopped paying sick pay - certified and uncertified.
    To add insult to injury, they are informing employees on an ad-hoc basis once they return to work.
    The company has c. 300 employees nationwide and is a subsidiary of a larger UK company which has a further c. 3K employees. Sick pay is outlined in our employment contacts on a discretionary basis.
    I'm not entirely sure what prompted it but the owner of the company, who can only be described as an English version of Trump, just decided to stop paying all employees sick pay one day. In fairness, conditions in the company weren't great to begin with, but shouldn't there be some statutory notice with regard to these changes?
    Today I had a colleague crying on the phone to me who has a legitimate chronic illness, which they require time off for treatment. There aren't many of these colleagues but we all feel any reduction of income. Even hospital appointments must be treated as sick days - either half or full days, depending on requirements.
    Today, two people are in work who have been certified to be off. One is on a crutch who is waiting on knee surgery. The other is in an arm sling after a fall.
    I'm scared as hell that I'll have some sort of accident which leaves me off work and I'll not be paid. It's not as if it's a great time to be unable to pay the rent.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

NiceyNice wrote: »
    Last month the company I work for stopped paying sick pay - certified and uncertified.
    To add insult to injury, they are informing employees on an ad-hoc basis once they return to work.
    The company has c. 300 employees nationwide and is a subsidiary of a larger UK company which has a further c. 3K employees. Sick pay is outlined in our employment contacts on a discretionary basis.
    I'm not entirely sure what prompted it but the owner of the company, who can only be described as an English version of Trump, just decided to stop paying all employees sick pay one day. In fairness, conditions in the company weren't great to begin with, but shouldn't there be some statutory notice with regard to these changes?
    Today I had a colleague crying on the phone to me who has a legitimate chronic illness, which they require time off for treatment. There aren't many of these colleagues but we all feel any reduction of income. Even hospital appointments must be treated as sick days - either half or full days, depending on requirements.
    Today, two people are in work who have been certified to be off. One is on a crutch who is waiting on knee surgery. They other is in an arm sling after a fall.
    I'm scared as hell that I'll have some sort of accident which leaves me off work and I'll not be paid. It's not as if it's a great time to be unable to pay the rent.

I was off work for a long time a year or so ago. I felt good enough to come back, but HR wouldn't let me as I was still certified to be off work and I wouldn't be insured to be on the premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 NiceyNice

I was off work for a long time a year or so ago. I felt good enough to come back, but HR wouldn't let me as I was still certified to be off work and I wouldn't be insured to be on the premises.

I thought there would have been insurance issues too but I'd be surprised if this place actually has insurance.
    We barely have a HR department.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Thanks Alison Incalculable Disk, I'm sorry to hear about your circumstances.
    PHI policies and the like are pretty crap. The earliest they kick in is after 90 days of illness and at a lower rate than your actual salary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

The most important phrase on your opening post is "on a discretionary basis" in the terms of your contract. This means that the decision to pay sick leave is at the discretion of the employer.

its debatable whether scheduled appointments at hospitals or GPs is actually sick leave.

If a worker is attending while unfit to carry out duties, then the manager should be fired. Health and Safety protocols should have been followed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

davo10 wrote: »
    The most important phrase on your opening post is "on a discretionary basis" in the terms of your contract. This means that the decision to pay sick leave is at the discretion of the employer.

its debatable whether scheduled appointments at hospitals or GPs is actually sick leave.

If a worker is attending while unfit to carry out duties, then the manager should be fired. Health and Safety protocols should have been followed.

Health and Safety what now? God I need a new job!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

I take it you are not a member of a trade union?

Full Marx wrote: »
    I take it you are not a member of a trade union?

Honestly, if the owner of the company got a sniff of a TU, he'd find a way to get rid of you. He's a tyrant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

NiceyNice wrote: »
    Honestly, if the owner of the company got a sniff of a TU, he'd find a way to get rid of you. He's a tyrant.

Its easy for me to say but you should try to find a job where you are respected as a human being

Advertisement