Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battery Charging Style -how much is life affected

Options
  • 22-08-2017 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭

I read you're supposed to keep battery between 50-80% to optimize life.

Thing is it's not really practical if you're charging overnight .
    Is battery life affected much by charging it right up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

It doesn't really matter with lithium ion batteries, other than avoid totally discharging them if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

It doesn't really matter with lithium ion batteries, other than avoid totally discharging them if possible.

Not what I've read a few times

Not what I've read a few times

A lot of people write a lot of stuff about batteries, and many confuse old battery technologies with new.

Yes technically allowing a lithium ion to only charge to 85% would prolong the battery life, but then you would never get to utilise the full battery capacity.

Lithium ions deteriorate with time, even if you never use them and also each "charge cycle" will reduce the capacity of the battery, with a charge cycle denoting fully charged to fully discharged.
    Going from 100% to 50% twice is better for the cell, than going from 100% to 0% once.

Ignoring theoretical stuff, in the real world charging as often as you like will not matter, but avoid deep discharges and if you had to store the battery for long periods when not being used, then a 40 to 50% charge is best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭eleventh

Aside from normal charging - every 1.5 days or so - I am plugging mine in via USB every so often to transfer files. The particular phone I have, when it's plugged in like this, it also charges it.
    I'm wondering if this brief charging (5 to 15 minutes to transfer files) if done regularly would be bad for the battery?

eleventh wrote: »
    Aside from normal charging - every 1.5 days or so - I am plugging mine in via USB every so often to transfer files. The particular phone I have, when it's plugged in like this, it also charges it.
    I'm wondering if this brief charging (5 to 15 minutes to transfer files) if done regularly would be bad for the battery?

No, does no harm at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement