Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SNA Qualfication

Options
  • 22-08-2017 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

If I complete a QQI Level 5 in Early Childhood Care & Education would I be able to get a job as a SNA or would I have to compete a higher level QQI?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

Technically no your qualifications is sufficient. It's not so straightforward though because some SNAs have panel rights which only means they have to be interviewed ahead of people without panel rights. Doesn't mean automatically getting the job as they could be deemed unsuitable and a person without panel rights could get it. There are lots of jobs out there. Try everything and everywhere.
    My advice would be to leave your cv in to local schools and try get subbing. Best way to get known in schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

I agree with Lady North. Subbing and getting some experience opened doors for me. I wish I had done it sooner. I found the idea of dropping CVs to schools daunting and put it off for ages.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

StigBoy99 wrote: »
    If I complete a QQI Level 5 in Early Childhood Care & Education would I be able to get a job as a SNA or would I have to compete a higher level QQI?

There is no qualification requirement for an SNA but doing extra courses always helps.
    Do you want to work in primary or secondary school?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 StigBoy99

Moonbeam wrote: »
    There is no qualification requirement for an SNA but doing extra courses always helps.
    Do you want to work in primary or secondary school?

I don't really mind id rather work in primary but I would work in either if a job came up in a secondary school I would accept it

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Have you done any supplementary courses? These can really help.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Before an SNA is even granted , the school must submit a plan with the application as to how they are going to reduce dependency of that child on the SNA. So tinfoil hat may not be a bad idea at all !
    Now, if the child has care needs - say is in a wheel chair and needs to be catheterised - how exactly a school is meant to overcome that is beyond me !

Before an SNA is even granted , the school must submit a plan with the application as to how they are going to reduce dependency of that child on the SNA. So tinfoil hat may not be a bad idea at all !
    Now, if the child has care needs - say is in a wheel chair and needs to be catheterised - how exactly a school is meant to overcome that is beyond me !

Catheterisation is done in schools. Was in ours. And is listed now as part of the duties of an SNA.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Catheterisation is done in schools. Was in ours. And is listed now as part of the duties of an SNA.
    I know that. Re-read my post, ,my point is that trying to remove it as something an SNA is needed for it madness, so a plan to phase out the need for an SNA in such a case is just silly.

Ah now I get ya.... they will, I think, try to get rid of SNAs in general but obviously they'll need some.... it's a great job but no job security is a pain in the neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭alibride

Hi there
    I was planning to do the level 5 and 6 courses at night. Portobello institute. Do These in my my area just wondering are there others. ? Tks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

My advice would be to leave your cv in to local schools and try get subbing. Best way to get known in schools.

Hi, do you know if most schools only hire people they already know?

Not particularly. We've had SNAs subbing who we've never seen before. We've had SNAs come in who've never subbed and get full time or part time jobs. Subbing is the best way to get your foot in the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 balbriggan123

Not particularly. We've had SNAs subbing who we've never seen before. We've had SNAs come in who've never subbed and get full time or part time jobs. Subbing is the best way to get your foot in the door.

Course name =classroom assistant /special needs assistant at kilester college
    QQI Level 5 Award in Community Health Services 5M4468

I hope to avoid doing this course if I can complete an online course that bridges the gap between the qqi level 5 components I already hold from previous courses.

Can any confirm if from their experience this will be possible?

Name of qqi/fetac level 5 courses already completed:

Healthcare support worked at Whitehall College 2012 or 2011(passed 2 modules I think)
    Physcology and counselling at plunket college 2013 or 2014(passed 3 modules I think)
    City and guilds diploma in health and social care 2019(equivalent to qq level 5)passed everything through care path online training.

I have worked in nursing homes +homecare for 6 years.

Working as a Sna is lifelong passion.

See screenshot of kilester sna course modules.
    3 of these modules I do not have:
    1. Intellectual disability studies
    2. Creative arts for early childhood
    3 understanding special needs

Advertisement