Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I being unrealistic?? House build

Options
  • 22-08-2017 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all. We are in the middle of drawing up our plans. 3 bed bungalow just shy of 1700sqft with roof high enough to convert in time to come. I have a large 5mtr glass door on one wall priced at €7500 other than that its a fairly simple house.. I have family who can clear the site and dig out the foundations. Am I being unrealistic with a price of €170k?? I'd perfer to give it to a contractor but obviously opened to self build. We having a debate here at the moment over a porch at the moment? Would a porch cost 5k or we best just to do a awning at the front door. I should also add its being suggested by our engineer to put air to water and underfloor heating. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Tefral

Where is this house being built?
    Are you factoring site costs in that total?
    Are you factoring in design fees, contributions, and utility connections in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 omf

Tefral wrote: »
    Where is this house being built?
    Are you factoring site costs in that total?
    Are you factoring in design fees, contributions, and utility connections in that?

Sorry should have said. Thanks. South tipperary. Iv being given a family site. Have about 10k to go towards the "extra"costs... havent really looked into all those things you have mentioned!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Tefral

omf wrote: »
    Sorry should have said. Thanks. South tipperary. Iv being given a family site. Have about 10k to go towards the "extra"costs...

Youd' get it build in South Tipp for that alright but the price would be ex Vat

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭893bet

Hi all. We are in the middle of drawing up our plans. 3 bed bungalow just shy of 1700sqft with roof high enough to convert in time to come. I have a large 5mtr glass door on one wall priced at €7500 other than that its a fairly simple house.. I have family who can clear the site and dig out the foundations. Am I being unrealistic with a price of €170k?? I'd perfer to give it to a contractor but obviously opened to self build. We having a debate here at the moment over a porch at the moment? Would a porch cost 5k or we best just to do a awning at the front door. I should also add its being suggested by our engineer to put air to water and underfloor heating. Thanks

If I recall south tipp has really expensive council contributions?

Have you accounted for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 omf

893bet wrote: »
    If I recall south tipp has really expensive council contributions?

Have you accounted for that?

My engineer gave me a quick calculation of approx €5k. Is this the norm or is this above/below the norn? Should I calculate more? How do I exactly find out and calculate all these "extra" costs other than the cost of building the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭893bet

My engineer gave me a quick calculation of approx €5k. Is this the norm or is this above/below the norn? Should I calculate more? How do I exactly find out and calculate all these "extra" costs other than the cost of building the house.

Seems about right. A Google gives a rate of 31euro per m2.

I think you will struggle with your current budget to get the house close to fully finished unless you go with a real plain finish.

Advertisement