Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LEAVING CERT REPLY SOMEONE

Options
  • 22-08-2017 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

In my leaving cert i didn't get enough points for my second choice course but somehow I was offered it and accepted it , on the offer note from the cao the points applicable for that college was more than I actually got in my leaving cert and the points applicable for the other colleges were all the actual amount I got ? I applied for DARE but was deemed ineligible does anybody know how I got the offer or will I lose the offer I am very scared

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

If you have accepted it and the system didn't reject your acceptance, I'd say you are ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Necessary Evil

Shh, if you don't tell anybody I won't either.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Are you sure you calculated your points correctly?Maybe you did have enough. The CAO doesn't make mistakes with points.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Does the course give special dispensation if you get above a certain grade in a certain subject?

For example, I think some colleges may give an extra 25 points if you're doing HL maths, and reach a certain grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

the_syco wrote: »
    Does the course give special dispensation if you get above a certain grade in a certain subject?

For example, I think some colleges may give an extra 25 points if you're doing HL maths, and reach a certain grade.

Everyone gets 25 points if they pass Higher Level Maths. Well get a H6 (D3) or higher, regardless of course.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Reply123 wrote: »
    In my leaving cert i didn't get enough points for my second choice course but somehow I was offered it and accepted it , on the offer note from the cao the points applicable for that college was more than I actually got in my leaving cert and the points applicable for the other colleges were all the actual amount I got ? I applied for DARE but was deemed ineligible does anybody know how I got the offer or will I lose the offer I am very scared
    Are you quite certain you are ineligible for HEAR / DARE?

They use a rating system which I've never quite figured out, but which combined with actual points means the score shown on the CAO slip can be significantly higher, e.g.
    student wrote:
    I'm a bit confused. Got letter from cao, on it I have 10 Level 8 courses and 1 level 7. For my first preference (which I got), it says your score "978" and for seconds preference "979", for 8th preference "979". For the rest it is 532 (which is my points). For Level 7 for "your score " it says 979. Any explanation?

Or was there a portfolio / interview / prerequisite for the course you were offered which may have translated into adding extra points for the purpose of scoring that course and that course alone?

Advertisement