Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Career advice needed!!

Options
  • 22-08-2017 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi this is my first time posting on boards and I just need some advice . My older sister has just decided on her college as she just completed leaving cert and it got me thinking, what do I want to become? I've my heart set on joining the guards, I've been inspired by my uncle who worked there (rip). I would love to join the ranks once complete leaving cert and know of the eduactional requirements for joining the guards (the ones posted on their website) but, not much info was give on getting into specific areas of the guards. I would like to become a forensic detective for the guards as I'm a science nerd but I've 0 clue as to get into that. Do I do courses in college and then join the guards or do the guards train me? I've no clue what to do, my uncle was part of missing persons and he trained in America for that so do I need to travel abroad? Anyone have any clue as to how the system works and has any advice? Anything is appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Try and speak to a Superintindent and ask if you could meet someone who is in that field of work. Be persistent, polite and courteous because they will have other things to do rather than give you a tour, as such.

I'd recommend that before spending years at college.

I knew one Garda who was getting a law degree and she was implying that they prefer to recruit people who have the degrees, rather than sponsoring the study but that was her experience.

Advertisement