Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steps to becoming a pilot

Options
  • 22-08-2017 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello everyone, I'm confused about the steps of becoming a pilot. I know the medical exam is first thing to do. During flight school do they do ppl and cpl or are they different courses. Do you have to decide an aircraft like a320 to learn or is it just general aircraft. I'm just confused and would love your help. Is there any good cost saving courses or is a cadet ship the best Decision

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Tom44

I'm sure Atlantic would be happy to answer your questions too

http://afta.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Stynes wrote: »
    Hello everyone, I'm confused about the steps of becoming a pilot. I know the medical exam is first thing to do. During flight school do they do ppl and cpl or are they different courses. Do you have to decide an aircraft like a320 to learn or is it just general aircraft. I'm just confused and would love your help. Is there any good cost saving courses or is a cadet ship the best Decision

- PPL and CPL are different courses. You will also have to do ATPL exams, hour building, MEIR, MCC/JOC before you can apply for jobs.

- You don't decide your aircraft, you take what you can get if you're fortunate enough to be offered a job.

- No cost saving courses, pilot training is expensive and quality training at reputable organisations is worth investing in. Modular training is probably more cost effective though.

- Cadetships are the ideal way into the profession provided you have £100k+ or are fortunate enough to land a place on the Aer Lingus scheme, although if rumours are to be believed, the fully sponsored aspect - if the scheme even returns - is a thing of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

Stynes, it depends what you want to do or can afford. If you go with one of the more expensive integrated programmes, you never get a PPL, you go straight after the CPL with multi engine instrument rating and MCC/JOC. It's an intensive full time course where after 12-14 months one is ready to send his/hers CV's to airlines. Type rating (in other words - what type of aircraft you'll be flying) is provided and determined by the airline that hires you

The other route is modular route, where you do everything at your own pace, you get your PPL first, build the hours, do distance learning for ATPL theory etc. It's cheaper, it allows you to combine work with training, but it takes more time. A typical modular student will get to the CV sending stage in about 3-5 years.

As for the cadet schemes, there are few different ones available, some expect people to already hold a PPL or CPL, some provide training from scratch. The cheap or free ones are incredibly difficult to get into and are very rare.. and then you have the likes of CityJet doing their scheme for 84k, which is a complete joke / rip-off

Advertisement