Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginning Guitar

Options
  • 22-08-2017 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,
    I used to play guitar when I was 8 but then I stopped and since then I have really wanted to start back as I loved the idea of playing the guitar and playing all the songs I listened to. I decided I would start back with an acoustic so I bought an Epiphone D-100 and I have set myself conditions:

I will continue to purchase and upgrade my guitar collection as long as I stay interested and learn and practice consistently. For example; if I know a load of chords and I feel confident playing full songs in front of people I will upgrade to a good electric guitar.

I am just wondering now what is the best way to begin teaching myself? Should I start by reading up on chords and notes and keys and all the theory or just dive right in and start practicing chords and songs? I have downloaded a course on TrueFire and the instructor seems really good and I'd learn a lot. So I may continue to look at his beginner courses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

I've been playing just over a year now. Signed up to guitar tricks 2 months ago, which I'm sure is another version of true fire.

Went through a phase of trying to learn new techniques but have stopped and am just working on songs now. More fun, easier to practice, and new techniques het introduced anyway as part of songs.

Would be interested in how true fire goes for you. Get emails with special offers daily and they seem to have lots of content

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Kcampo

Thanks, the content on TrueFire seems to be REALLY good, I've only been on my 30 Day trial for a day now and I'm already considering doing the all access thing. I'll be sure to check out guitar tricks but imo truefire is really good and good value as it's 20 dollars a month with great teaching as opposed to how ever much people pay for guitar lessons here.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

They all look great for a few days until you realise you can only learn so much at a time. Im or a member of true fire but have seen promos....it seems to offer lots of content but not much songs. Maybe I'm wrong in that. Have a look at Justin guitar and jam play also.

Imo none take the place of a teacher. Personally I don't have the time for lessons but know I'd benefit from someone to actually show me where I'm going wrong if I have problems with a chord etc as opposed to watching the right way to do it

• Administrators Posts: 53,457 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I started recently and I'm using JustinGuitar, he has an app on the app store.

I'm sure you'd learn better with actual lessons but I wanted to try and self-teach for a while to see how I go. If progress is slow I'll buy lessons.

Advertisement