Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wrong Eircode address?

• 22-08-2017 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,226 ✭✭✭✭

Just got an email for delivery from the US and even tho I never gave them the Eircode they have obviously looked it up and using it
    But the address is showing as on Wood Quay when I'm next to Camden St!

When I look up the address on the Eircode site there is no mention of Wood Quay

Is this likely old data that, probably, UPS haven't updated?

I've emailed the US company and hoping they haven't posted it yet or that it arrives OK

Anyone else got experience of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

Well, Wood Quay(A and B)is the name of an electoral division that extends from the quay itself all the way to the canal, conceivably you could be in it. I've sometimes seen it in location systems, maybe that's how it got there. For example sometimes my location for the weather app in my phone is given as 'Wood Quay'.

If the actual street address is correct, the package should be arrive ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

It's likely down to how an post arrange their internal delivery routing. For example, if I type in my own eircode into www.eircode.ie, and click Get Eircode, it comes back the right address, but with Naas added at the the bottom (even though my address is in Kilcock, not Naas).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,226 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

MrMorooka wrote: »
    Well, Wood Quay(A and B)is the name of an electoral division that extends from the quay itself all the way to the canal, conceivably you could be in it. I've sometimes seen it in location systems, maybe that's how it got there. For example sometimes my location for the weather app in my phone is given as 'Wood Quay'.

If the actual street address is correct, the package should be arrive ok.

OK thanks, didn't know that

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭McAlban

It uses the Postal Address rather than the Geographic Address, both are different. I think Shannon is In Limerick on the Eircode Site.

They have a tab where you can see both now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,226 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

So basically the Eircode is only useful for An Post for their sorting, anyone else tough luck if its got the wrong county or area

And how many millions did this cost?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

fritzelly wrote: »
    So basically the Eircode is only useful for An Post for their sorting, anyone else tough luck if its got the wrong county or area

And how many millions did this cost?

It gives you both the geographical and postal address - you can use whichever you prefer.

You could also put the code in to Google maps and it will bring you to the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭highdef

The whole postal system is a joke at times. I live in County Kildare yet my postal address ends in "Enfield, Co Meath" because my sorting office is in Enfield, Co Meath. It becomes very annoying when I am guiding anyone to the house and I tell them that they need to put Kildare and not Meath into the search on their Sat Nav. They then say, but your address is in Meath and I reply that yes, my postal address is in Meath but I am actually in Kildare......cue some confused faces!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

highdef wrote: »
    The whole postal system is a joke at times. I live in County Kildare yet my postal address ends in "Enfield, Co Meath" because my sorting office is in Enfield, Co Meath. It becomes very annoying when I am guiding anyone to the house and I tell them that they need to put Kildare and not Meath into the search on their Sat Nav. They then say, but your address is in Meath and I reply that yes, my postal address is in Meath but I am actually in Kildare......cue some confused faces!
    Give them your Eircode instead. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭highdef

Victor wrote: »
    Give them your Eircode instead. :)

Oh I do that now. I have memorised my Eircode. It still causes confusion though when people calling over discover I am in Kildare and they ask why I previously gave a Meath postal address.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Can't really get on with the whole postal address hassle, created by AnPost for their own convenience.

In normal world, anyone's own address describes exacly what it's created for - location. Route is a different story, and (in this case) is Anpost's/other courier's problem. Sadly it's Ireland, so can't be simple.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

joujoujou wrote: »
    Can't really get on with the whole postal address hassle, created by AnPost for their own convenience.

In normal world, anyone's own address describes exacly what it's created for - location. Route is a different story, and (in this case) is Anpost's/other courier's problem. Sadly it's Ireland, so can't be simple.

Sadly it was created by an English company, so can't be simple… ;)

Unregistered Users

Irish address system is created by English company? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

So it was said at the time:

https://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0714/802305-eircode/
    A report by Capita, the company that helped set up the system…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capita
    Capita plc (LSE: CPI), commonly known as Capita, is an international business process outsourcing and professional services company headquartered in London.

It is the largest business process outsourcing and professional services company in the UK, with an overall market share of 27% in 2009, and has clients in central government, local government and the private sector.[3] It also has a property and infrastructure consultancy division which is the fourth largest multidisciplinary consultancy in the UK.[4] Roughly half of its turnover comes from the private sector and half from the public sector.[3] Whilst UK-focused, Capita also has operations across Europe, Africa and Asia.

Unregistered Users

No sir, you got me wrong. I don't complain about eircode.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

joujoujou wrote: »
    Irish address system is created by English company? :eek:
    More a UK state agency - the General Post Office / Royal Mail, back in the day.

Advertisement