Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Age of Empires 4!!!! ah **** its Relic.

• 22-08-2017 12:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

Shame Ensemble cant make it, I like Relic games but for different reasons.

My favorite RTS games (except 3).

/Firmly on the fence.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Yeah... ever since SEGA effectively took over Relic Entertainment, they have gone down hill. DOW3 was a shambles and even COH2 had major problems in the beginning as SEGA came in mid-development. I don't have much hope for AoEIV, to be honest.

We are getting 'definitive' editions for AoEII and III though...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'll always love Relic because of Homeworld, so i'll give them a chance. To be honest, i'll be happy with a remastered AOE2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Two major Microsoft IPs worked on externally by two SEGA-owned studios, both released and announced within 12 months of each other. If only MS had a studio themselves capable of handing said franchises with the necessary RTS experience to boot! :o

Personally I reckon the only way this will succeed is if MS back the hell off and let Relic do their own thing.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,394 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Whats the bets it will be a windows 10 store/xbox one only title. Would probably kill it for a lot of people if that's the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I read somewhere that they've already said it's going to be a Windows Store only title. It was one of those "Devs said on a reddit thread" things though, so I wouldn't call it Gospel yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Time to dust off the auld torrenting app then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Falthyron wrote: »
    Yeah... ever since SEGA effectively took over Relic Entertainment, they have gone down hill. DOW3 was a shambles and even COH2 had major problems in the beginning as SEGA came in mid-development. I don't have much hope for AoEIV, to be honest.

I was going to ask why Relic was suddenly in the naughty corner, given its pedigree of Homeworld & Company of Heroes; I got the impression that DoW3's biggest sin was diverging too far from the RTS stable - never liked the Warhammer franchise so stayed clear - there more to it than that? Never really played much of CoH2, didn't seem quite as fun as its predecessor. Man, Company of Heroes was some game, possibly the best, if not one of the best, 'traditional' RTS games ever made...

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭chazlan

Falthyron wrote:

Where does the AoEII HD fit in with this? I thought that was already a remastered version!!

pixelburp wrote: »
    I was going to ask why Relic was suddenly in the naughty corner, given its pedigree of Homeworld & Company of Heroes; I got the impression that DoW3's biggest sin was diverging too far from the RTS stable - never liked the Warhammer franchise so stayed clear - there more to it than that? Never really played much of CoH2, didn't seem quite as fun as its predecessor. Man, Company of Heroes was some game, possibly the best, if not one of the best, 'traditional' RTS games ever made...

It began with CoH2, to be honest. SEGA came in to replace THQ and the game disappeared for a while. People were unsure as to what was happening and if the game was still in development. After the misfire that was CoH:Online, there was concern CoH2 wouldn't be released, particularly with the fall in demand for RTS titles in favour of games better designed for consoles.

Nevertheless, the game was eventually released but it had a litany of problems with balance, AI, and content. Then came the DLC packs, skins, and loot boxes. Personally, I was fine with all of this once the bugs had been sorted. I still play CoH2 on occasion and really enjoy it, but I haven't touched DoW3 since the Beta as I found it to be a poor man's RTS with stripped back tactics and strategy, no cover based mechanics, no true base building and it felt more like a quasi-RTS/MOBA. With the game receiving poor reviews and (what seemed like) a plan to introduce micro-transactions by means of skins/heroes, I stayed clear.

In my opinion, SEGA knows it has done a lot of damage to its reputation in recent years with various DLC practices and stripped back content in games being released. Its recent foray into remastering games and re-releasing fan favourites on PC is an attempt to repair the tarnished sentiment surrounding its business practices.

All the same, I think Relic are one of the best RTS developers out there. The problem is SEGA. Perhaps SEGA will try to further fix its public opinion by allowing Relic to make the game that's needed, but I have my doubts. Besides, AoE is a building game first, war game second in my view. Relic's history is the inverse of that concept. Expect a stripped back game with reduced building (when compared to previous games), reduced unit count, fewer features, and more customisation options. Oh, and new factions as DLC.

chazlan wrote: »
    Where does the AoEII HD fit in with this? I thought that was already a remastered version!!

The re-re-re-release coming soon!

Link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 TwoToneRebel

I've heard news about that too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

While I want to get giddy like a little kid watching a dog chase it's tail,

I will refrain from the excitement in case this end up like Empire Earth 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

We've already seen deluxe complete total etc versions of both of those.
    What could they be possible adding?

CruelCoin wrote: »

No idea, but they have stated this about the AoEI definitive edition:
    To coincide with the exact 20-year anniversary of the original game, the remastered version launches on October 19, 2017. First announced at E3 back in June, the remaster provides updated visuals and a variety of other modern improvements, like a new UI, the ability to attack-move, control groups, an idle villagers button, and better online multiplayer.

Alongside word of the release date, Microsoft debuted a new trailer for the game, which you can check out above. It highlights many of those new features and several others, like new zoom levels, improved destruction, and an enhanced soundtrack. You can also just get a sense for how much better the game looks than the original version.

Link

I guess, AoEII and III will be getting a similar treatment?

CruelCoin wrote: »

Micro transactions....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭pawrick

Micro transactions....

This would put me off buying this game, AOE was probably the game which got me in to PC gaming to begin with so it would be sad to see it go that way.

pawrick wrote: »
    This would put me off buying this game, AOE was probably the game which got me in to PC gaming to begin with so it would be sad to see it go that way.

Micro transactions are a curse on the gaming industry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I feel Relic dropped the ball big time with DOW3, so I'm far more cautious about this than I would have been.

I feel Relic dropped the ball big time with DOW3, so I'm far more cautious about this than I would have been.

All I wanted was the same as DOW1 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The emphasis on unlocks spoiled COH2 for me, it otherwise would have been super, so I'm concerned too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

The re-re-re-release coming soon!

Link

Cool! Thanks for that. Still play aoe 2 hd on Steam. Come accross the odd Irish player every now and then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

All I wanted was the same as DOW1 :(

Seriously, it was the perfect formula. Give us a shiny new graphics engine, some new unit diversity, and a new story campaign and I'm sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

pawrick wrote: »

Was the same for me!
    AoE back in 1997 :) was my first PC game. God I loved that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

I guess, AoEII and III will be getting a similar treatment?

I haven't heard anything about II and III getting similar treatment, as II HD already had an upgrade and new DLC's, but anything is possible of course.

Okon wrote: »
    I haven't heard anything about II and III getting similar treatment, as II HD already had an upgrade and new DLC's, but anything is possible of course.

http://www.pcgamer.com/age-of-empires-definitive-edition-set-for-october-aoe-2-and-3-remasters-are-coming-too/
    Microsoft announced a little earlier today that Age of Empires 4 is in development, but that's not the only big news on the AoE front. It also revealed that Age of Empires: Definitive Edition, with 4K graphics, a remastered soundtrack, and improved gameplay, will be released on October 19. Even better: Age of Empires 2 and 3 will be getting the same treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

AOE 4 reveal today and Aoe2DE released a few minutes ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

AoE4 going back to the medieval era :(

Reveal :(

FYI AOE2DE is pretty good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

TheChrisD wrote: »
    AoE4 going back to the medieval era :(

Good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Was it going to be before it was medieval, didn't play 3 which was Age of Discovery i guess

Varik wrote: »
    Was it going to be before it was medieval, didn't play 3 which was Age of Discovery i guess

Noone knew tbh

Bit odd releasing AOE2 which is medieval and then announcing Aoe4 is alos medieval on the same day.

Kinda doesnt make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

So it looks like it will have a broader timeline than AoE II, so before the fall of Rome in the west and up to the Renaissance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Units moving in formation so looking like a Relic alright. No more blobs surrounding a town centre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Varik wrote: »

This is all going by an image that was part of the Age of Empires 3 artbook - AoE4 was meant to include something 20th century (unsure if WW2 or Vietnam); whereas AoE5 was to be basically Halo Wars.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

TheChrisD wrote: »
    This is all going by an image that was part of the Age of Empires 3 artbook - AoE4 was meant to include something 20th century (unsure if WW2 or Vietnam); whereas AoE5 was to be basically Halo Wars.

I remember that image alright. Dont mind that its not either way, as long as IV is good :P

Advertisement