Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strike (BBC Mini-Series) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭brian_t

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    It starts on Sunday August 27th at 9pm on BBC1

It continues on Bank Holiday Monday at 9pm and then on the following Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I watched part one....it was alright maybe a little slow tbh but the cast were very Good

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭corkie

Strike (BBC 2017)[Robert Galbraith --> a.k.a JK Rowling]

IMDb link.

First episode aired tonight (27th), second episode tomorrow and third episode on 3rd September. With further adaptions to follow!

What's in store in JK Rowling's TV detective drama?

Sorry for the late posting, didn't find out about it till after it aired!

I will probably wait until the 3 episode air and then binge watch, if reports are good.

Did anyone catch it while it was on? Please use spoilers in thread!

Edit: - Didn't see the other thread created before me. I check earlier for threads and didn't see it.

@Mods Please delete/merge thread at your discretion!

Edit 2: - Threads where merged! Thanks @Mods!

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭OldRio

Not sure what to make of this just yet.
    Very formulaic. Down on his luck PI. Check. Attractive assistant. Check. Offices in a seedy area of the city. Check. And so on.
    Great casting it must be said. Nice pace to the story although I prefer 90 minute dramas. (Morse. Endeavour).

Some of the dialogue was a little off. Martin Shaw making sure his wine wasn't too chilled. Cringe.
    The obvious fake snow at the start was a poor job also.

Maybe I'm looking back at those 40's and 50's Film Noir Phillip Marlowe movies to fondly.

I'll stick with it but...............

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Paddy2012

OldRio wrote: »
    Not sure what to make of this just yet.
    Very formulaic. Down on his luck PI. Check. Attractive assistant. Check. Offices in a seedy area of the city. Check. And so on.
    Great casting it must be said. Nice pace to the story although I prefer 90 minute dramas. (Morse. Endeavour).

Some of the dialogue was a little off. Martin Shaw making sure his wine wasn't too chilled. Cringe.
    The obvious fake snow at the start was a poor job also.

Maybe I'm looking back at those 40's and 50's Film Noir Phillip Marlowe movies to fondly.

I'll stick with it but...............
    Yeah the chilled wine bit was obviously a set up to give Strikes later threat more resonance but it was still very clunky. I enjoyed the book though and feel the adaption was pretty faithful (and very well cast).

• Advertisement

Enjoyed the first two episodes of the "The Cuckoo's Calling"!

When is Strike: The Cuckoo’s Calling on BBC One tonight and who’s in the cast of the series based on JK Rowling’s books?
    The Silkworm, the first sequel to The Cuckoo's Calling, will then air in two parts on September 10 and 17.

While the third part of the story, The Career of Evil, has already been shot, it is thought that two-parter will air in 2018.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Watched episode three!

The story was really dragged out to 3 episode, it should have been cut to 2!

The flashback at start to how he lost the leg was not really required.

I didn't expect that
    the person who hired strike would be the killer

Do people who have read the books actually watch these?

Note: - Post was edited after the episode aired!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,780 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Killer was a bit disappointing.. but Tom Burke and Holliday Grainger are great together!

Better than most PI dramas I've seen.. fun Sunday evening fluff without it being too geared at the elderly crowd who just love a whodunnit!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I thought it was a good adaption. Casting was excellent.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭OldRio

Disappointing light fluff. Expected a lot more to be honest. The killer was a bit obvious.

3 episodes is enough for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Why don't I have a kind heated, intelligent hot bird like Holliday Grainger as my assistant eh? :(

(still, I do have both legs at full operating length)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I thought it was ok, but I missed the insight into the two main characters that you get when reading something that's written from their point of view. For example, in the first book, Strike was really in a bind by the fact that the agency had sent a temp he couldn't afford, but in the epsiode he just kind of shrugs that off. Also, he's more overweight and unfit in the book, so his leg gives him more trouble than it appears to do in the TV series.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I rather enjoyed it for what it was, and the casting was really good. It's certainly a good sign when I was glad to see the next part is on next week. Perhaps there'll be more room to delve deeper now that the premise is fully set up.

Oh and I think I'm a little bit in love with Holliday Grainger now :)

I wonder if Holliday has dark thoughts about her mother... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭gidget

Have read the first book of this, so was looking forward to watching it when i read there was a series being shot. I unfortunately missed the 2nd episode though as i wasn't aware it was airing on the Monday also, but managed to catch the final episode. Am reading the 2nd book at the moment which i hope to have finished by Sunday.

Strike: The Silkworm <---- Reminder on tonight 9pm!

Post will be edited when episode aires!

Edit: - Was distracted by other things while this was on, so need to re-watch before next weeks episode!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I thought that new episode for silkworm was better than the first story, it seemed to move a bit quicker maybe due to being a 2 part as opposed to 3 parter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Just watched the latest episode. Maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention, but I found I didn't know and didn't care much who the various male suspects were. They were just a bunch of nameless floaters.

Strike - Career of Evil the third installment starts on BBC 1 at 9pm on Sunday 25th February.

Hopefully they'll have managed to get the Blue Oyster Cult song of the same name on to the soundtrack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

It's started!

Who knew JK Rowling was a fan of the BOC? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85,285 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

I read the first book & then ended up watching the tv version, suspect I'm going follow suit with the rest now as enjoyed both & like that you don't have to commit to a huge number of episodes.

Strike: Lethal White starts on BBC One on Sunday 30th August and continues on Monday 31st August.

How many books is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,460 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The fifth, Troubled Blood, is out tomorrow.

Warning Spoilers in that link!

'Strike – Troubled Blood' release date

The show will air on Sunday 11 December and Monday 12 December on BBC One at 9pm and the final two episodes will air the following week. It will also be available on BBC iPlayer. It will air at a later date on HBO Max in the US, where the series is known as CB Strike and it's distributed internationally by Warner Bros.

How many episodes will air of 'Strike – Troubled Blood'?

This season the series will consist of four hour-long episodes.

Spoilers in this as well: - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4276618/episodes?season=4

Another book released this year: -

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Decent first episode

Nothing original

• Advertisement

Besides the player is it repeated on any BBC channels?

Advertisement