Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting - Cooker hobs not working. What can we do?

Options
  • 21-08-2017 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Like most tenants renting through a letting agency, ours seems to like to play hardball regarding any issues.

When we moved in. 2 of the 4 hobs on our cooker worked. They were rusted and disgusting. Mr Muscle himself could not clean them.

Now 1 hob works. One only works when its turned up full which is making cooking dinner a pain in the hole!.

Can we as tenants ask that they replace the hobs on the cooker / buy a new cooker?.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Yes you can and Absolutely yes you should

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Katsumoto47

Gatling wrote: »
    Yes you can and Absolutely yes you should

Could they not turn around and say 1 of the 4 works?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

The minimum standards require a working 4 ring hob.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Katsumoto47

The minimum standards require a working 4 ring hob.

Didn't know that!. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭manualskeleton

It took me 16 weeks to get a Galway agency to replace 3 broken oven knobs. They kept telling me they were searching for them and that they were hard to find. I had to constantly chase them and eventually just sent them loads of links to places to buy them. The guy who eventually came to do it said they were "reasonably common".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭ted1

^^ espares.co.uk about 12 Euro and easy to fit.

No excuse not to fix it.

ted1 wrote: »
    ^^ espares.co.uk about 12 Euro and easy to fit.

No excuse not to fix it.

Exactly. I had a total brain flub not to search for it earlier. I just trusted them when they strung me along saying they were working on sourcing it :D More fool me.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

For now you can get by on one hob by following this procedure, you should be able to manage, just get everyone to put booking yellow post-its onto the extractor door over the cooker:

Katsumoto47: 6:30pm - Boil rice
    Tenant 2: 7:00pm - Boil potatoes & Veg
    Tenant 3: 7:30pm - Boil spaggetti
    Tenant 4: 8:00pm - Boil pasta
    Katsumoto47: 8:30pm - Stirfry meat, frozen veg
    Tenant 2: 9:00pm - Cook pork chops, onions
    Tenant 3: 9:30pm - Cook mince meat
    Tenant 4: 10:00pm - Fry fish

Tenant 5: Runs out the door to the nearest chipper

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

First off hit the roof with the agent, a cooker in this day and age is simple and cheap to buy, it no like that can't afford to do it.
    All the crap of running around after them is needles.

Ring the agency, ask to the owner, lie that you are a looking for somebody to manage your elderly mothers two rental houses, x 12 flats. When you get the owner apologize for lying but it was the only way you could get to talk to them. Say look I'm a tenant, I don't want a sour relationship with you or the LL but why am I chasing your agency to fix or replace a 200 euro hob, this it silly. Please tell me it will be replaced this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Ring the agency, ask to the owner, lie that you are a looking for somebody to manage your elderly mothers two rental houses, x 12 flats. When you get the owner apologize for lying but it was the only way you could get to talk to them. Say look I'm a tenant, I don't want a sour relationship with you or the LL but why am I chasing your agency to fix or replace a 200 euro hob, this it silly. Please tell me it will be replaced this week.

Or they could just tell the truth and give the agency the opportunity to replace the hob before they go down the route of ridiculous subterfuge. They haven't even asked the agency to do anything yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭CalRobert

To be fair, I hated our ceramic hob so much (they're utter crap) that I just bought an induction hob and stuck it over the old one. I'll never use a ceramic-plate piece of **** again.

Giblet wrote: »

I chased the agency ad nauseum with this stuff, on the phone, by email and in person when they came to inspect the problems. Still nothing got done.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Or they could just tell the truth and give the agency the opportunity to replace the hob before they go down the route of ridiculous subterfuge. They haven't even asked the agency to do anything yet.

I did. I chased them for 16 weeks over it, as detailed above.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I did. I chased them for 16 weeks over it, as detailed above.

I was referring to the OP, not you.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I was referring to the OP, not you.

Ahhhh ok.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I chased the agency ad nauseum with this stuff, on the phone, by email and in person when they came to inspect the problems. Still nothing got done.

Report to the environmental health section of the council. They are responsible for rental standards.

kceire wrote: »
    Report to the environmental health section of the council. They are responsible for rental standards.

Hmm, I did last summer when I had a situation with the vent stack in my house. I emailed a couple of times, rang and left messages and noone got back to me.

Advertisement