Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th year tips and advice:)

Options
  • 21-08-2017 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi, I'm going into 5th year and was looking for some tips and advice. The subjects I am doing are:
    Irish[HL but if I do applied maths I'll drop to OL]
    English [HL]
    Maths [HL]
    French
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Biology
    Maybe applied maths
    Choice subjects at all HL as well
    Anyway I was wondering does anyone have Study tips and how much I should be studying? I dunno if this is a good idea but I learn well with flashcards but since they're so expensive and became a nuisance trying to keep track of hundreds of flashcards I was thinking of getting a notebook and halving the page in two
    and folding it over with a word on one side and the definition on the other ? Kinda like flashcards idk lol :).Let me know if that's stupid!! Ok sorry for the ramble just tips and advice please :)
    Sidenote: I'm not that great at maths so I only chose those subjects because I enjoy them which is weird so I'll need extra work at my maths subjects excluding chem and physics the maths in that isn't too bad

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Sb567 wrote: »
    Maybe applied maths

Sidenote: I'm not that great at maths so I only chose those subjects because I enjoy them which is weird so I'll need extra work at my maths subjects excluding chem and physics the maths in that isn't too bad
    I'm just kinda wondering why you're thinking of taking on an extra maths subject if you're "not that great at maths"?

You already have 7, so taking on an 8th which by the sounds of it will need a fair bit of time may just be diluting your time too much / putting unnecessary stress on yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Sb567

I'm just kinda wondering why you're thinking of taking on an extra maths subject if you're "not that great at maths"?

You already have 7, so taking on an 8th which by the sounds of it will need a fair bit of time may just be diluting your time too much / putting unnecessary stress on yourself?

Ok well I know it's strange but I was really good at maths in first and second year and then third year I just let it go and never studied or nothing and I panicked hard on the day of the Jc but in the end came out with a C. I was disappointed but felt I deserved it as I didn't put in the work. So for fourth year I studied for the tests and in one I got 76% and In the summer exam I got an A. And along in the process I really started to like maths as I was getting good at it and now I really like it but maybe you're right? I'm still not sure because I don't really like irish so

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

Hi there,

I'm going into 6th year in a few weeks and I can give you some tips. It's impossible to give study tips that will work for everyone. Everybody learns differently and one method works better for some people than it does for others. Personally, my method is that I read content and then test myself on it. I think I have very mild photographic memory and because of this, this method works really well for me. Obviously though, this method wont be great for those that may not have the best memory. Maybe you can write notes for yourself, flashcards etc. The one thing that is always helpful though is testing yourself whether this be by answering LC questions or by simply answering questions in your head.

Studying during 5th year is SO important. It will benefit you so much towards the summer exams and more importantly, towards the Leaving Cert. I always studied and practised every subject weekly and it made studying for the big exams much easier. Holidays are good for relaxing but they're also a good opportunity to get some study in. Easter holidays are always a good time to study for the summer exams.

In terms of your maths ability, I would honestly think twice about doing applied maths. I would consider myself really good at maths and because of that I chose to do applied maths. Believe me when I say it is a DIFFICULT subject. On top of being good at maths, you will need a good teacher, good notes etc and even then it will still be challenging. About half my class dropped the subject since September because of how difficult it is. In ways it's similar to normal LC maths but it requires a lot more understanding and some of the concepts can be very difficult to get your head around. The plus side is that there is very little theory to be learned so if you understand what's going on, the subject just becomes a matter of constant practise.

Also, have you considered doing Accounting? A lot of people who are good at maths find accounting easy and personally I find it very, very doable. If you have done business for the JC then you should definitely consider it.

I hope my tips have helped you, I actually do similar subjects to you so please don't hesitate to ask me about anything else. (For reference, my summer exam results were H1's in Maths, French, Biology, Chemistry, Applied Maths, Accounting and Economics. Also an O1 in English.)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Sb567

Hi there,

I'm going into 6th year in a few weeks and I can give you some tips. It's impossible to give study tips that will work for everyone. Everybody learns differently and one method works better for some people than it does for others. Personally, my method is that I read content and then test myself on it. I think I have very mild photographic memory and because of this, this method works really well for me. Obviously though, this method wont be great for those that may not have the best memory. Maybe you can write notes for yourself, flashcards etc. The one thing that is always helpful though is testing yourself whether this be by answering LC questions or by simply answering questions in your head.

Studying during 5th year is SO important. It will benefit you so much towards the summer exams and more importantly, towards the Leaving Cert. I always studied and practised every subject weekly and it made studying for the big exams much easier. Holidays are good for relaxing but they're also a good opportunity to get some study in. Easter holidays are always a good time to study for the summer exams.

In terms of your maths ability, I would honestly think twice about doing applied maths. I would consider myself really good at maths and because of that I chose to do applied maths. Believe me when I say it is a DIFFICULT subject. On top of being good at maths, you will need a good teacher, good notes etc and even then it will still be challenging. About half my class dropped the subject since September because of how difficult it is. In ways it's similar to normal LC maths but it requires a lot more understanding and some of the concepts can be very difficult to get your head around. The plus side is that there is very little theory to be learned so if you understand what's going on, the subject just becomes a matter of constant practise.

Also, have you considered doing Accounting? A lot of people who are good at maths find accounting easy and personally I find it very, very doable. If you have done business for the JC then you should definitely consider it.

I hope my tips have helped you, I actually do similar subjects to you so please don't hesitate to ask me about anything else. (For reference, my summer exam results were H1's in Maths, French, Biology, Chemistry, Applied Maths, Accounting and Economics. Also an O1 in English.)

Thank you so much! I sent you a PM :)

Advertisement