Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest install query

Options
  • 21-08-2017 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Got a nest installed today while I was at work. I have a couple of questions if anyone here has experience with these.

1. My old system had three switches on the wall for downstairs, upstairs heating & hot water. This was controlled using an old timer. I told the installer to create 1 zone for the heating and the other for the hot water. I assumed that these switches would now be redundant but they seem to still control what zone is heated. Am I missing something?

2. Again, when I turn on the hot water on the nest nothing happens, the boiler doesn't kick in at all. I think that if I turn on the heating on the nest and then switch the old hot water switch on the I get hot water. Does this sound right?

I am assuming that the nest heat link is supposed to be controlling my whole heating system now. And I should leave the old switches on all the time now.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Here's what it sounds like to me.
    The three switches each control a motorised valve. Your old timer didn't control these at all, hence the switches. It seems that the nest is just replacing the old timer itself. So the nest is a timer and you can control it remotely but that's all it is.
    I'm sure you will find that the three switches aren't & never have been wired to either timer.
    I'm not sure who installed the nest but a good electrician will sort it out for you

Advertisement