Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does "hardly ever" mean?

Options
  • 21-08-2017 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I came across this question today in an English placement test. Possible answers:

a) never
    b) sometimes

I picked a but now I'm thinking it should probably have been b, although I don't think either answer is quite correct.

Any thoughts?

Comments

It's not "never"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Has to be B

• Registered Users Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

B), although "nearly never" would be a closer description.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Almost never...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

'B', because it leaves open the possibility of something happening. 'Hardly ever' entails something could still happen, sometime. A rare occurence.

'Never' is definitive in that nothing will ever happen. Hard luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

In my opinion it would mean sometimes. Never is finite, sometimes and hardly ever arent

• Registered Users Posts: 24 lunablau

Okay, the question was actually more like this:

"I hardly ever see you":

a) I never see you
    b) I sometimes see you.

Still B?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

lunablau wrote: »

"I hardly ever see you":

a) I never see you
    b) I sometimes see you.

Still B?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Still B.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Hardly ever is an adverb of frequency, its basically just one step above never.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

"I hardly ever see you":

a) I never see you
    b) I sometimes see you.

Still B?

In that case, I'd say A, because if you said 'I never see you' to somebody, it wouldn't mean literally 'never'. It would mean hardly ever. The meaning depends on the whole sentence, and how it's normally used, as opposed to what the single words mean in a dictionary.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,139 ✭✭✭✭looksee

In that case, I'd say A, because if you said 'I never see you' to somebody, it wouldn't mean literally 'never'. It would mean hardly ever. The meaning depends on the whole sentence, and how it's normally used, as opposed to what the single words mean in a dictionary.

That would only work the other way round. If someone said 'I never see you' you could assume they meant 'I hardly ever see you'. You can't do it the opposite way round though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sorry, but that makes no sense.

I hardly ever see you means, and has always meant, that I seldom/rarely/sometimes see you. Hardly ever is not Never. One of the definitions of Hardly is used to emphasize a minimal amount

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

looksee wrote: »
    That would only work the other way round. If someone said 'I never see you' you could assume they meant 'I hardly ever see you'. You can't do it the opposite way round though.

Oh yeah, good point.

Edit: Just to add, I'd agree with the OP that neither answer is quite correct (at least not as the question has been presented above.)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 lunablau

Edit: Just to add, I'd agree with the OP that neither answer is quite correct (at least not as the question has been presented above.)

The context is a conversation about exercise where one person says to another:
    "I didn't know you liked going to the gym, I hardly ever see you there!"

If I were ever to use the phrase "hardly ever" myself in this context, as a non-native speaker, it would actually mean "never".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The context is a conversation about exercise where one person says to another:
    "I didn't know you liked going to the gym, I hardly ever see you there!"

If I would ever use the phrase "hardly ever" myself in this context, as a non-native speaker, it would actually mean "never".

Then you would be wrong. Hardly ever, in this context, means rarely or only sometimes, but certainly not a definitive never.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I came across this question today in an English placement test. Possible answers:

a) never
    b) sometimes

I picked a but now I'm thinking it should probably have been b, although I don't think either answer is quite correct.

Any thoughts?

It means very very rarely. So it is more sometimes than never.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,139 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

They are if the alternative is 'never'. The question did not have three options so the answer is 'sometimes'.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I hardly ever answer a question when there is a choice of only 2 answers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Hardly ever = rarely

Advertisement