Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for games for kids (age 8,9)

Options
  • 21-08-2017 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭

Hi we play board games at least weekly over the winter at home. 8 year old is getting a bit fed up with Mouse Trap, Kerplunk ,The Game of Life, Snakes and ladders, Jr Scrabble etc. Looking for some suggestions that might liven things up a bit and challenge too.
    Please any recommendations very welcome, I've seen alot of games mentioned but not sure what ages they are suitable for. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Off the top of my head I'd suggest 'King of Tokyo' and 'The Hare & the Tortoise'

I reckon at 8 they'd be old enough for stuff like 'Ticket to Ride' and 'Smallworld' as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Twigster

I'd second King of Tokyo and Ticket to Ride, ours also love Castle Panic and Exploding Kittens. Tsuro is another one which is easy to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

I did come in here to suggest Castle Panic. Board Game Geek would probably have a list that you could work off of.
    Catan has a junior edition too I think. Dixit maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

My kids are currently 7, 11 and 14 but we've been playing most of these games for a few years now:

Ticket to Ride - the older two love this, the younger one gets bored around halfway through
    Dixit
    Rampage (since renamed to Terror in Meeple City)
    Cash and Guns - better with a group of 5+ players
    Forbidden Desert
    Zooloretto
    Niagara
    Luchador

Edit: forgot about:
    Smallworld
    Colt Express
    Labyrinth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Thanks everyone, ordered Ticket to Ride Europe. Will check out the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Camel Up and good old fashioned Risk are big hits with my 2 nine year olds.

They also love ticket to Ride but didn't take to King of Tokyo the one time we played it...must try it again.

Just tried them on Munchkin and CodeNames: Pictures this evening for the first time and both were big hits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭o Fiac

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Twigster

Easons are selling kingdomino for €3 online, not sure if it's in store as well but it's an absolute bargain at that price and the kids love it.

https://www.easons.com/coiledspring-kingdomino-game-816-5140263

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

My favourite game as a 8-10 year old was Hotels (rebranded now as Hotel Tycoon). It's very like Monopoly except not as long or drawn out. The rules are a little simpler and overall it's just a more fun game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Card Games anyone?
    Uno of course.
    Also https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/11971/cockroach-poker

Red Frog Gaming is a good source for Kids Games : https://www.facebook.com/RedFrogGaming/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭feedthegoat

My two really enjoy Pictureka and that timeless classic Cluedo.

Advertisement