Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Divined Withholding Tax

Options
  • 21-08-2017 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question. I recently received my first divined in my TD investment account. The amount was smaller than I thought but when I checked it looks like a 15%  Withholding Tax was applied as they are USD shares, which is fine.
    Am I entitled to this 15% back?
    If not, do I get taxed on 100% of the dividend or just the remaining 85%? (Do I declare the 100% or the 85% to revenue?)
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭topper_harley2

Read last few posts on http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057774667, same question answered, again.
    Dividends on US Shares
    There is a 30% with-holding tax on US shares for non-US residents, but if you complete a W8-Ben form for your stockbroker, a lower 15% with-holding tax will apply. Your therefore receive 85% of the dividend. You are assessed on the full 100% and the 15% withheld by the US Revenue is deemed as tax already paid by you in accounting for tax due to the Irish Revenue, and for anyone on a marginal tax rate above 15%, then the balance is due to the Irish Revenue. The 15% US With-holding tax is non-refundable so pension accounts cannot reclaim it.

Advertisement