Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting male cat neutered at 15 months

• 21-08-2017 1:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks

Until now we put off getting our 15 month old male cat neutered as he is super relaxed and not territorial and hasn't been allowed outside. In the last 4/5 days he's started spraying so we've booked him in to be neutered tomorrow. I know that sometimes this can turn into learned behaviour and that they don't stop after the neutering but since we're nipping it in the bud should it stop?

Thanks
    Jenn

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Jen, spraying is not a learned behaviour but a hormonal driven behaviour. He has now started so i would say it will take about 4-6 weeks before all hormones are out off his system.He can also still father kittens so would keep him in. Neuetring should really be done as soon  as possible as him not being territorial doesn't mean he's not out there fathering kittens unless he's an inside only cat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭jenn1984

Jen, spraying is not a learned behaviour but a hormonal driven behaviour. He has now started so i would say it will take about 4-6 weeks before all hormones are out off his system.He can also still father kittens so would keep him in. Neuetring should really be done as soon  as possible as him not being territorial doesn't mean he's not out there fathering kittens unless he's an inside only cat?

Indoor only - part of 4 kittens born from 2 different stray litters we took in last year. He is the 7th of 7 cats to get fixed. Has never been outside except for maybe a minute on a lead a few times when he panicked and wanted back in - so no chance of him fathering/getting into fights.

Good to hear. Sorry I doubted you. been talking to a friend who is convinces the earth is flat, and that we've never been on the moon...I'm kind of doubting peoples intelligence at the moment lol . In regards to the subject: I';ve neuetrd blow ins at any age and they all stopped spraying after that period..you should be fine. ..flat earth.really...

Good to hear. Sorry I doubted you. been talking to a friend who is convinces the earth is flat, and that we've never been on the moon...I'm kind of doubting peoples intelligence at the moment lol . In regards to the subject: I';ve neuetrd blow ins at any age and they all stopped spraying after that period..you should be fine. ..flat earth.really...

No worries - I know he should have been done earlier but never would have risked him going outside and adding to the problem. I had 3 different stray mums give birth in my house/on my doorstep in the space of 2 months last year and I'm pretty sure the same tomcat fathered them all. I have no tolerance for people who let their unneutered cats outside. Thanks for the info.

I didn't neuter my fella until he was about 7 months or so. (Indoor only cat). He had just started spraying when we got him done also and he never sprayed again!

Not to hijack the thread but he's a very big cat. Example; Had to get him a litter box for mainecoons because no others were large enough. My vet said something one day about his size and about neutering. I didn't follow at the time but was wondering afterwards if neutering them young stunts their growth at all? Not that it matters but just curious now that I'm thinking about it??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

It doesn't seem to affect growth in cats the same way it does in dogs. They only noticeable difference I'd see is neutered males seem to have smaller heads, in neutered boys tend to have big jowls!
    All my cats are neutered, both Peach and Cream (male and female) spray despite being done at 5-6 months. Rarely in the house though unless something's up with them.
    My previous cat Dude, and current kitten Moose never did. I suppose it just depends on the individual!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Both of my Tom's are neutered, one at 6 months, the other we don't know as he was a few years old when we got him. Both will occasionally spray outside if stressed by another cat.
    We have a female cat we got neutered at 6 months and she's bigger than the boys, even the vet thinks she's enormous! It's not just he fluff, she's taller and has the biggest paws, last check she was 5.5kg and my males aren't small either.
    Definitely doesn't seem to effect growth.

Brought our fella in this morning. First time in a car, yowled a bit but then calmed down. Always have the guilts getting them done, lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Awh, just remember it's the best thing you'll ever do for him, both health and safety-wise. :)

Not a bother on him - he drank loads when he got home and slept loads yesterday. Back to normal today apart from a bit of redness. The vets nurse wanted to clean out the kennels so left him in the pet carrier for the last hour he was there so he came home smelling like pee - we were not happy with them.

• Advertisement

jenn1984 wrote: »
    Not a bother on him - he drank loads when he got home and slept loads yesterday. Back to normal today apart from a bit of redness. The vets nurse wanted to clean out the kennels so left him in the pet carrier for the last hour he was there so he came home smelling like pee - we were not happy with them.
    Ugh. Wouldn't use that vet ever again.She could have waited that hour or place him back in the kennel after. t****

Zaza is nice and settled and demanding belly rubs - hasn't sprayed since he got home but I know we're not out of the woods just yet.

Advertisement