Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cowboy Tradesman

Options
  • 21-08-2017 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi,

I got a quote from a company, happy with the price so i accepted and paid €1700 (50% of balance) to get a new bathroom suite ripped out and new one installed, with everything included in the price.
    The lad got all the good delivered on the Thursday, said works would be started Friday. Bathroom was ripped out Friday (1 hrs work) and its now Monday and he has let us down every day since, telling us every day his lads will be down to make a start and yet again this morning he has let us down and said him and an apprentice will make a start tomorrow (tues) and it will be finished Wednesday. The ripped out suite is still sitting at side of my house, which was suppose to collected and taken away Saturday at 12pm.

Can I cancel his services now and request my money back? Do I have a cooling off period where i can cancel as its already become a joke!

The quote i signed off on did say start date of 20th - 23rd (which wasnt what we agreed on in previous emails). Surely they cannot fit a new suite, tiles it from top to bottom in 48hrs when i was told already it would be at least 4 days work, feel now if i proceed it will be a rushed job and that will be another battle again.

Any advice appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Unfortunately the boom builders are back.

Many of them start a job only to get it, then come back a week or two later.

You should have specified a end date in the contract.
    To be fair, your very quick to jump the gun.

Its only been a weekend. Cool the beans and wait a day or two.
    To be a few days late is not terrible in a trades job.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 kerchunky2010

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    Unfortunately the boom builders are back.

Many of them start a job only to get it, then come back a week or two later.

You should have specified a end date in the contract.
    To be fair, your very quick to jump the gun.

Its only been a weekend. Cool the beans and wait a day or two.
    To be a few days late is not terrible in a trades job.

I'm here since Friday with no bathroom, no toilet to use or shower/bath to wash in, so I don't feel i am jumping the gun.

So am i to wait and let a 4 day job be turned around in 48 hrs, if he shows up :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Loads of them wont work on Saturday and Sunday cant count those days as working days
    You had to tell him to start on Monday not on a Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 26 kerchunky2010

Loads of them wont work on Saturday and Sunday cant count those days as working days
    You had to tell him to start on Monday not on a Friday

He asked me could the lads work the weekend because they had other jobs to start on the Monday, which i agreed too (all documented in emails).
    Why would i agree to a bathroom to be ripped out on Friday for it not to be touched till the Monday? I would of waited till Monday if that was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,956 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

He asked me could the lads work the weekend because they had other jobs to start on the Monday, which i agreed too (all documented in emails). Why would i agree to a bathroom to be ripped out on Friday for it not to be touched till the Monday? I would of waited till Monday if that was the case.

It's not going to help you now but bathrooms should always start onto a Monday.
    Tbh even 4 days is fast for a bathroom.
    To answer your question about cancelling the job I'm sure you are perfectly entitled to but in the real world they won't refund the money you paid upfront. You are sort of stuck. I know that this is a pain in the butt for you but in the long run I'd be more concerned that the quality of work is up to standard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement