Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technology and it's (beneficial) effects on us

Options
  • 21-08-2017 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,308 ✭✭✭✭

As a counterpoint to the thread on the deleterious effects of technology how about discussing the many beneficial effects of technology.

My mother has occasional episodes of what doctors call syncope. Basically she just passes out without warning. Previously they would attach a heart monitor to her that she would carry around for a day or two. As the episodes are only occasional the chances are it wouldn't happen while she was wearing the monitor. But now they simply inject a monitor under the skin on the chest. It only takes 5 minutes to do. Every night the monitor sends it data back to the hospital. the monitor can stay in place for a very long time. The chances of it finding an issue are massively increased over the old method.

So what other ways have technology improved our lives?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

All the young folk are stuck inside on Facebook and their Xbox instead of going around outside causing hassle, so that means in August when all the older folk are on holidays I pretty much have the whole country to myself. The lack of people roaming around outside will become even more pronounced as people ditch real life for VR

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

All the young folk are stuck inside on Facebook and their Xbox instead of going around outside causing hassle...R

vo2sz.jpg

Advertisement