Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camper truck - what to know ?

Options
  • 21-08-2017 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi folks
    I'm looking at converting a registered in Ireland Mercedes 7.5t comm truck into a camper.
    I've read through the threads on line here in relation to this however they are now 2-8yrs old and I'd love to get some up to date advice on this and I don't see a end result to the projects.

Has anyone got or know someone with this size camper?
    Do you need to connect cab to body with entrance?
    Who is best insurance in relation to this size? How much per year would it be?
    Vrt - what have they cost these trucks at in the Past when valuing them for re registering from commercial to camper ?
    Is there a size restriction?
    Does this need a c1 or d licence ?
    How much is tax per annum?

I have more questions but it's enough to hopefully get some great advice started !

Kind regards
    Chris

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Moving to the Motorhomes, Campervans & Caravans subforum. Hopefully people here can steer you right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Hi folks
    I'm looking at converting a registered in Ireland Mercedes 7.5t comm truck into a camper.
    I've read through the threads on line here in relation to this however they are now 2-8yrs old and I'd love to get some up to date advice on this and I don't see a end result to the projects.

Has anyone got or know someone with this size camper?
    Do you need to connect cab to body with entrance?
    Who is best insurance in relation to this size? How much per year would it be?
    Vrt - what have they cost these trucks at in the Past when valuing them for re registering from commercial to camper ?
    Is there a size restriction?
    Does this need a c1 or d licence ?
    How much is tax per annum?

I have more questions but it's enough to hopefully get some great advice started !

Kind regards
    Chris

For such a vehicle you need a C1 licence.
    Size doesn't matter, think of American RV's some ate 40ft long and weigh up to 19 tonne or more.
    VRT could be a big unknown, try and get some idea before you embark on the project, it will be based on the perceived value at the end, it's a good idea to do just enough to get the vehicle qualified as a 'motor caravan', get it VRT'd and then add the other stuff.

Regarding a 'walk through' between the cab and the habitation area, you need to check if this is a requirement for the vehicle to be categorised as a 'motor caravan' with Revenue, it can also have relevance when looking for the special motorhome insurance available from the likes of Dolmen Insurance Brokers.

There are many ex HGV vans of all sorts to be seen on the roads of Europe so it's not like you're doing something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Chrispstafford

Thanks Mark

Moving to the Motorhomes, Campervans & Caravans subforum. Hopefully people here can steer you right.

niloc1951 wrote: »
    There are many ex HGV vans of all sorts to be seen on the roads of Europe so it's not like you're doing something new.

86a80f674372bd967d4ab3ebbd14971f--bug-out-vehicle-popup-camper.jpg
    Stick an LGV on a HGV..go wan ya know you want to! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Here's a Scania I saw in Camac Valley, Dublin.

T.

• Advertisement
Advertisement