Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any vehicle I can get that doesnt require insurance

Options
  • 21-08-2017 2:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I reallt wanna get something to drive around in,I was gonna get a dune buggy or scrambler but I know they require insurance,is there anything I cam get that will be super cheap on insurance or doesn't need insurance.Also what would happen if im caught driving a scrambler for example down the road no insurance,im 16 and just want something to mess on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

FiltyFrank wrote: »
    I reallt wanna get something to drive around in,I was gonna get a dune buggy or scrambler but I know they require insurance,is there anything I cam get that will be super cheap on insurance or doesn't need insurance.Also what would happen if im caught driving a scrambler for example down the road no insurance,im 16 and just want something to mess on.

Its very simple, if it has an engine you are legally required to have a licence, insurance and correct tax paid before you can use it in a public place.
    If you have no insurance and are stopped by Garda you will most likely have the bike taken from you.
    Take a look at the Garda Twitter Thread and you will see countless numbers of cars and bikes taken from people for not having insurance.
    If you have no insurance and you happen to hit a car, or worse, a person or a child, how would you be able to cover the cost of damages?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,331 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

FiltyFrank wrote: »
    A bicycle will fit the bill nicely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Peregrinus wrote: »

If you drive a scrambler or any motorised vehicle on private land with the landowner's permission, you will not need insurance or see above for riding in public areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Talk to your parents and see if you can get time go-karting or on a private race track - there are a lot more of them than one would think. But importantly, you need lessons first.

Demonstrate that you can act responsibly and people just might trust you. But remember 'mess' has no place in public or on the road.

Map of locations. http://url.ie/11wwl
    Riva10 wrote: »
    If you drive a scrambler or any motorised vehicle on private land with the landowner's permission
    Note that insurance is required in a public place. This overlaps with private land, e.g. shopping centre car parks.

If you drive a scrambler or any motorised vehicle on private land with the landowner's permission, you will not need insurance or see above for riding in public areas.
    Though the landowner might need insurance. Not legally, but as a matter of good sense.

(Hey, I'm a 16-year old quadriplegic because adults who should have known better let me mess on a dune buggy. I'm gonna need a lot of money for the rest of my life. Who else am I gonna sue?)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Victor wrote: »
    Talk to your parents and see if you can get time go-karting or on a private race track - there are a lot more of them than one would think. But importantly, you need lessons first.

Demonstrate that you can act responsibly and people just might trust you. But remember 'mess' has no place in public or on the road.

Map of locations. http://url.ie/11wwl

Note that insurance is required in a public place. This overlaps with private land, e.g. shopping centre car parks.
    Did you not see "Landowner's Permission"

Did you not see "Landowner's Permission"
    Yeah. But if the landowner give you permission to drive on his land which is a "public place", you need insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Peregrinus wrote: »

Or an electrically assisted bike, helps you while you pedal. Although a good one would set you back a few thousand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

The op is a troll, surely.

Advertisement