Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much to build something like this?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

You can assume a low to mid spec house to cost €1500/m2.
    That house would be high end in terms of design, finishes, bespoke detailing, etc.If the house is 200m2, a wild guess for budgeting purposes would be around the €500k mark. You could probably spend much more though

There's no reason why it couldn't be built in an energy efficient manner as long as the large glazing is not facing north. Note that the more glazing you have in a house, the lower the windowu value has to be so a house like that would likely require high end triple glazed units throughout

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

You'll also generally find that people who aren't into architecture will hate/won't understand brutalist style of buildings.

Here's something similar in Killester in Dublin: http://donalhickey.ie/work/nuns-lane/
    As far as I remember the concrete is insulated externally. As for price, he told me it was comparable to similar sized houses in the area but that doesn't account for his own time working on it and favours/discounts he managed to get when building it.

It's often open to the public for Open House.

Much as these 'modern' houses are nice to look at, surely living in them wouldn't be great? Is there not a sense of being in a goldfish bowl with everyone able to see everything?

Maybe I'm just a more private person, but i tend to find these buildings nice enough to look at, but would never live in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Is there not a sense of being in a goldfish bowl with everyone able to see everything?

Maybe I'm just a more private person, but i tend to find these buildings nice enough to look at, but would never live in one.

Just make sure it's on plenty of surrounding private land and you'll be fine.

The one in the example above has blinds anyway.

Advertisement