Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlocking a phone with my current SIM

Options
  • 20-08-2017 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

I currently have an S5 on the vodafone network.

I have an old S3 that I no longer use.

I want to unlock it so that I can use it on a trip where I can buy a local sim card.

Can I put my current S5 sim into the S3 and unlock it using instructions found on the internet? Will it screw up my SIM card?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Q&A

Your sim will be fine. All the code does is allow sims from other networks to work in the phone. It's been a while since I unlocked a phone but I'm not sure you actually need a sim for anything other than checking it's worked. Obviously to check just make sure the sim is from a different provider than what the phone was originally on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

I've tried it with my SIM and it didn't work. Nothing happened.
    But I found that the Vodafone site will actually give you up to 3 NAC codes if you enter your EMEI number into an online form.

The instructions for Without SIM didn't work: Without SIM: #7465625*638*NCK# (NCK is the 8 digit unlock code)

So I have to try and get my hands on a non Vodafone SIM and see if the NAC code will work that way.

Advertisement