Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum feedback - Season 7

Options
  • 20-08-2017 6:16pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Right as we're getting close to wrap up the far to short season 7 we'd like your feedback on how you found the moderation of the season as we implemented some changes from season 6 such as the pre-setup of threads (limited to episode thread and general speculation thread rather than speculation thread per episode), allowing book readers in the non book reader thread (but not allowed to post book related information) as we're now well outside the book story lines etc. We'd also specifically like feedback on the question on opening threads early due to leaks that we'd like to see feedback on. What leaks, what quality, how early etc. and what actions to be taken (open thread(s), keep them locked to Sunday evening etc.).

This thread will be open until mid September and is not a promise that anything will change but we'd like to know if you found something working well, things you think did not work well, something you'd like to see etc. before we go into season 8. Please keep your feedback constructive.

Cheers,
    The Mod team

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Nody wrote: »
    Right as we're getting close to wrap up the far to short season 7 we'd like your feedback on how you found the moderation of the season as we implemented some changes from season 6

A1.
    such as the pre-setup of threads (limited to episode thread and general speculation thread rather than speculation thread per episode),

Thought it was a bit confusing, if Im honest. A few times i typed out a post along the lines of "I see X happened this episode, I wonder if that means Y in future" then cancelled the post because I couldnt decide if it was more a speculation or commentary on the episode, or whether speculation on where the books might/might not go in future was allowed on the episode threads if it arose from the events of the episode.
    allowing book readers in the non book reader thread (but not allowed to post book related information) as we're now well outside the book story lines etc.

Yeah it makes sense. Could there just be one thread for next season with any book spoilers being tagged as such?
    We'd also specifically like feedback on the question on opening threads early due to leaks that we'd like to see feedback on. What leaks, what quality, how early etc. and what actions to be taken (open thread(s), keep them locked to Sunday evening etc.).

I dont stream the episodes so it makes no difference to me whether the thread is open a week in advance or on the sunday night. Not sure how many people watch it on normal tv or on the monday as well though!

It might be problematic, however, if people put spoilers up for episode 5, for example, in the episode 4 thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Thought it was handled well considering all the leaks, common sense was used on allowing discussion. Couldn't have been done any better I don't think. Although there is still time... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Imo there's far too much speculation in the threads. Someone, somewhere is bound to correctly predict how the show is going to end or how the next episode is going to go down. When those people post in the episode threads it takes away from those of us who don't want to hear those theories and would rather watch and find out ourselves.

As for the two episode threads (book readers and non) I think they should remain. I know the show has long surpassed the books, but because there's so much deviation in the show from the books there is the potential there for so many unintentional spoilers. Already, I have had some of these deviations spoiled for me from people asking and others posting what some of the differences are. I someday intend on reading all the books (after the show has finished) and again, I'd rather find out for myself how they're going to pan out.

The forum is by and large running very well, I don't see the need to change much.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

How was the moderation? Well, I didn't really see any moderation, which usually means that it was pretty damn good. Discussion flowed and I didn't see any nonsense posted which means things were probably quietly cleaned up before I opened a thread.

I liked the format of stickying and locking the new episode threads until airing. And I liked that the leaked episodes could be discussed too in threads with clear warnings.

Whatever you did this season, do it again. It was perfect IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

I think it's being great this season.

Sometimes the episode specific thread and the speculation thread get mixed but I generally think there's being a good amount of discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I thought it was all handled smoothly, especially only having one speculation thread.

I didn't like that book readers could post in the other thread. For me personally, when the book readers got too scientific I'd bop into the other thread too see what non-readers have to say and find the same posters arguing again over something else.

Book spoilers are as much a thing as TV spoilers, so I think two separate threads is better than one for everyone in S8.

I thought there was also a lot of speculation in the weekly threads, I understand this probably wouldn't be seen as speculation while posting, and people were copping on to themselves and saying they'd bring it to the spec thread, so this may sort itself out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,269 ✭✭✭✭Penn

....... wrote: »

In a recent non-book reader thread, while we were discussing something about The Mountain someone was basing their opinion from a description of him in one of the books, which wasn't mentioned in the show.

Yes, the show has surpassed the books, but it still means that background to characters, or relationships, or things not in the show etc means that both groups are still discussing things on two different levels from two different perspectives, and it's hard to discuss something with someone and try to get your opinion across when the other person knows you're wrong because of something from the books but can't say it.

I'd still prefer it continues next season with Book and Non-Book reader threads, as I don't think it splits discussion to any real degree as both threads get a lot of users and discussion. Though one thing I would like to see is 'Book Readers' & 'Non-Book Readers' in the thread titles being placed before the episode title, as it's easier to see if it's the right thread from the Front Page of Boards. I've clicked into the Book Readers threads a few times from the front page by accident.

But it makes it redundant for someone to post a theory or their opinion on a situation when someone can just come along and go "Well no because in the books it says... etc". If for example I said I thought Cersei was going to do XYZ and someone says "Well in the books
    this shows Cersei can't do XYZ
    ", that completely kills discussion because what happens in the books is outside of the show.

It's not a level playing field for discussion, because there are people who haven't read the books or the wikis etc. Due to the popularity of both the books and the TV show, it's not like other TV shows based on books where similar might happen. The scale of the differences between historical background, context or descriptions the book can add even though the show has surpassed where the books are is too large.

• Advertisement

But then the reverse is true; then the book readers don't have a place to discuss the show but in the context of having read the books and being able to put forward their own theories or discuss things using the books for reference (eg. I think Cersei is going to do XYZ because in the books someone said... etc)

Having separate Book and Non-book reader threads allows for both freely, so that whether you read the books or not, you can discuss the show in that context with people who have also read/not read the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Very happy with how it was moderated this year. I think the reader and non-readers should still remain as the level of depth varies in both and often the non-reader thread is refreshingly light hearted and amicable.

I can be nice to read a debate on whether Cersei's arse was a stunt double or not after 4 forum pages arguing on the chain material supply contracts to the White Walkers.

There are posters who will argue with every single point in both threads and as a previous poster can simply kill an episode thread and a genuine new post or observation can be lost in the ether.

And scoundrels posting up script spoilers were also swiftly dispatched which is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I think next year, anyone who mentions the phrase 'plot armor' or debates how fast ravens fly should get a permaban.

otherwise, I think that the non book reader / reader threads are a good idea overall, and the forum as a whole was pretty good this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

It was a good year, I thought.

One thing I think people need to be made more aware of is that spoilers in the funny/meme thread aren't allowed until the Wednesday. That, or let people post spoilers in there right away, but make people aware that there are potential spoilers in that thread and that they're taking a chance if they click into it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I think next year, anyone who mentions the phrase 'plot armor' or debates how fast ravens fly should get a permaban.

otherwise, I think that the non book reader / reader threads are a good idea overall, and the forum as a whole was pretty good this year.

I think a sticky about how it is perfectly valid to judge a show on it's world and the rules it has set out. Anyone who throws out the line "stop complaining it's got dragons" has to read up on internal consistency before they can post again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

mewso wrote: »
    I think a sticky about how it is perfectly valid to judge a show on it's world and the rules it has set out. Anyone who throws out the line "stop complaining it's got dragons" has to read up on internal consistency before they can post again.

Whilst I was being somewhat sarcastic, it's groan inducing to have the read the same old comments trotted out again for pages at a time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I found things ran nice and smoothly so fair play all round :) Thankfully any spoilers posted were removed promptly. Good bit of banter in both threads that I enjoyed reading after each episode. I think things should stay as they are with two separate threads. Regarding when to open threads after leaks, I say as soon as its leaked (no matter what the quality) then the thread should be unlocked. The nature of the beast is that lots of people are going to watch it so might as well open the thread to facilitate the discussion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement