Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

our lights dimming when neighbours using electric power washer

• 20-08-2017 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭ Andy From Sligo

our next door is powerwashing his house today, using an electric power washer and every time it goes on the lights dim in our house for a split second - really noticeable on a 5ft fluorescent (old ballast/ starter type) we have in the kitchen , less noticeable on the other lights we have. as far as I remember ESB dont remedy any electrics unless it drops below 200v - I have a plug in digital energy meter and its reporting between 226v and 230v

I just a bit peeved what the dimming un-smooth power has in the long term or short term effect on my electrical and electronics in the house like lights and tv etc...

I have got surge plugs on some my electrics , but still ..

It happened last week when the neighbour at the back of our garden on the estate there he was power-washing using an electric power washer, same thing it was making our lights flicker - any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭ Bruthal

Starting current of pump causing a very short duration dip.

Probably not too unusual. Probably more noticeable with outside pole transformer and/or overhead lines to houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭ Andy From Sligo

should these neighbours power-washers have some kind of capacitors in them to absorb the surges as the motor inside of the power washer turns on and off?

Advertisement