Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2.5 minutes from dark sky reserve

Options
  • 20-08-2017 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone. Just a quick one from Friday night between the clouds. I'm in the South West of Ireland. St Finan's Bay, under some of the darkest skies in Europe. Unfortunately the weather isn't playing ball but i did manage to get this at least. 2.5 minutes in 30 second subs with the A7s, samyang 135 and Eq3 pro.

This has convinced me to move house to a darker site.

Thanks for looking. Richard.

36620506016_60af1bb5b3_z.jpgNear the Galactic core by Richard Sweeney, on Flickr

☀️ 10.75kwp.

⚡️5kw SunSynk, 5.95kwp SE, 3.2kwp SE, .8kwp NW, .8kwp SW. 15kwh SunSynk BYD Battery.⚡️

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Looks more like 60 minutes!! Awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Looks more like 60 minutes!! Awesome.

Thanks Mick. Hopefully i'll manage at least one clear night before i head home.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

⚡️5kw SunSynk, 5.95kwp SE, 3.2kwp SE, .8kwp NW, .8kwp SW. 15kwh SunSynk BYD Battery.⚡️

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Fantastic as always !!
    And nice one that you can move to a darker sky area!!

May I ask will this increase your commute time to work ?
    I ask because I myself am weighing options to increase commute time to move out of the city ...

Hi Hector. Yes it would probably add about 10-15 minutes to my commute but i like the time to myself after work to gather my thoughts from the day, and to consider tomorrow. Saves thinking about that stuff late at night when trying to sleep.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Hi Hector. Yes it would probably add about 10-15 minutes to my commute but i like the time to myself after work to gather my thoughts from the day, and to consider tomorrow. Saves thinking about that stuff late at night when trying to sleep.

ah thats nothing so !!

You should also submit your images to astronomy magazines - Im certain they would publish them (maybe you already have)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Hi everyone. Just a quick one from Friday night between the clouds. I'm in the South West of Ireland. St Finan's Bay, under some of the darkest skies in Europe. Unfortunately the weather isn't playing ball but i did manage to get this at least. 2.5 minutes in 30 second subs with the A7s, samyang 135 and Eq3 pro.

This has convinced me to move house to a darker site.

Thanks for looking. Richard.

36620506016_60af1bb5b3_z.jpgNear the Galactic core by Richard Sweeney, on Flickr

Hi Richard, amazing image as always. Heading down to that end of Kerry under dark skies is something I've wanted to do for a while. So with that in mind, when you said you were in St.Finans Bay did you take this image at the beach or did you set up somewhere else nearby? I'm basically looking for recommendations as to where exactly is the best spots to view the night sky down there - viewing points, quiet roads, that type of thing. Thanks.

ThunderCat wrote: »
    Hi Richard, amazing image as always. Heading down to that end of Kerry under dark skies is something I've wanted to do for a while. So with that in mind, when you said you were in St.Finans Bay did you take this image at the beach or did you set up somewhere else nearby? I'm basically looking for recommendations as to where exactly is the best spots to view the night sky down there - viewing points, quiet roads, that type of thing. Thanks.

Hi ThunderCat. We're lucky enough to have a house down there, across the road from the beach. A nice spot might be on the road to Portmagee there's a place to pull in at the top of the hill. Might be a good spot as you can get in off the road, or there's the Bolus head loop walk. Should be a quieter road, you can pull in there too.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Hi ThunderCat. We're lucky enough to have a house down there, across the road from the beach. A nice spot might be on the road to Portmagee there's a place to pull in at the top of the hill. Might be a good spot as you can get in off the road, or there's the Bolus head loop walk. Should be a quieter road, you can pull in there too.

Brilliant, thanks very much for the reply. You're a lucky duck having a house under such pristine sky but I can tell you already know that and don't take it for granted I'm sure. All the best.

Advertisement