Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

05, Toyota 1.4 timing belt etc..

Options
  • 20-08-2017 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭

Friend of mine is looking at buying a '05, Toyota 1.4, 2 door, (Corolla?), hatchback with only 77,000 miles on it. What's the 'story' with the timing belt, assuming it has one, should it have been changed by now? Thanks..........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Yes, should have been done. It's normally x years or y miles so I'd say on age alone it should have been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Those corollas the ones with the 1.4vvti do not have a belt they have a chain.

Assuming it has had regular oil changes it should be fine I think the replacement guide is about 220k km

• Registered Users Posts: 81,739 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's a timing chain they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Ok, thanks for replies.......

• Registered Users Posts: 51,170 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As said the 1.4 petrol Corolla of that vintage has a timing chain not a belt. The chain should last the lifetime of the engine and should only need changing if it becomes rattly from stretching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

The chain will last the life of the engine, we've got a VVTi Avensis (same engine just bigger) with 195,000 miles and it's still on the original chain, no sign of a rattle or anything like that. I know someone with a 1.4 VVTi Corolla on 250,000 miles and again it's on the original chain, that car is lucky to see a service every 15,000 miles (they're meant to be serviced every 9,000) and yet it's still driving away grand.

Only reliability issues with these cars are the gearbox (they can be a bit soft, the bearings are a weakness in them) and don't be surprised if it needs to be topped up with a litre of oil every 1-2,000 miles, the problem was supposed to have been solved by then but our 2005 Avensis had to be put onto 10W40 (rather than 5W30) to try and stop it from drinking the stuff and it's worked to a certain extent but it still need a bit every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

The chain will last the life of the engine, we've got a VVTi Avensis (same engine just bigger) with 195,000 miles and it's still on the original chain, no sign of a rattle or anything like that. I know someone with a 1.4 VVTi Corolla on 250,000 miles and again it's on the original chain, that car is lucky to see a service every 15,000 miles (they're meant to be serviced every 9,000) and yet it's still driving away grand.

Only reliability issues with these cars are the gearbox (they can be a bit soft, the bearings are a weakness in them) and don't be surprised if it needs to be topped up with a litre of oil every 1-2,000 miles, the problem was supposed to have been solved by then but our 2005 Avensis had to be put onto 10W40 (rather than 5W30) to try and stop it from drinking the stuff and it's worked to a certain extent but it still need a bit every now and then.
    The mid 2005 introduction of the updated vvti engine in the corolla solved any remaining burning oil issues.

Chains are not a problem on either of the vvti engines and should last a very long time.

Advertisement