Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What temp should my oil boiler stat be set at?

Options
  • 20-08-2017 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

Had a few jobs done by plumber recently and he noticed that the rads were much too hot, too hot to touch almost. He said the dual stat on our grant oil burner was shot and we are burning a lot of oil. Had to order a replacement. We have an electrician working on other jobs now so he will install the new stat. However, I'm unsure as to what the correct setting should be or the normal domestic setting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

Is it condensing boiler you have? Then make sure the return temperature is no higher than 57 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭batman1

Yourmama wrote: »
    Is it condensing boiler you have? Then make sure the return temperature is no higher than 57 degrees.

No it's a standard boiler, 15 years old but working fine otherwise.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

batman1 wrote: »
    No it's a standard boiler, 15 years old but working fine otherwise.

Put it at mid position. Too low on a standard boiler can damage the boiler. If weather gets really cold for a few days, you can up it a bit more.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Why would the lower temperature cause damage to it?

Parents have a standard oil boiler and only an apt timer , no other controls or motorised valves and house is getting too hot on timed

Should I set boiler stat at midrange and add a room stat to control boiler ?

I don't know what boiler stat is set at currently

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

So - the boiler stat is working off the temperature of the central heating water returning to the boiler -

A room stat will turn on and off the system depending on temp set on the stat,

And thermostatic rad valves will turn individual rads on and off Depending on the temp near the rad ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
Advertisement