Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on returning to education

Options
  • 20-08-2017 5:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello guys. Apologies in advance if this is not the best forum to post this in.

My story is basically this. I'm 24, soon to be 25 and I am looking for information on getting 'back to school'. I won't bore you with all the details, but when I was younger I went through a lot of things at home. I have always had to deal with anxiety issues as long as I can remember, but as a teen it got to the point where I broke. My parents divorced which made my anxiety so bad I struggled to go to school. My dad passed away not long after which was obviously devastating and has taken me, a very reserved guy (closed book I think is what they call us), a very long time to deal with on my own. I became extremely depressed, suicidal and my social anxiety spiralled into severe agoraphobia (the anxiety where you can't leave the house..). I dropped out of school in 3rd year. I was agoraphobic for years and while even now I rarely leave the house that is more to do with the fact I have no place to go more than anything.

I have not been back to school since I dropped out years ago. I always told myself I'll eventually learn to deal with everything I had going on and get back to school but it never happened. At 24, I think the ship has sailed when it comes to going back to classes and getting my leaving certificate, but I have to try to get myself out of this hole I have dug myself into.

What my options are is something I would like some help with. I have no idea who I should talk to about it but I'm ready to dedicate myself to whatever I need to do. I would love to someday go to college and earn a bachelors degree, maybe even go on to further education after that.

Should I be looking to go back to school in some capacity to get my leaving certificate or is that a stupid idea/not realistic at my age?

I would appreciate any advice you might have for me.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Find your local ETB (used to be VEC) Adult Education Officer. Your local ETB school will be able to tell you where they are based. Their job is to assist people in your situation. They will know all your options.

Enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I see you are in Sligo - as well as what Spurious has suggested, give IT Sligo a call and ask about their Access programme. They are lovely people there and will be only too delighted to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Joejoanne123

Yes IT Sligo have a scheme specifically for people in your situation. I believe it called "breaking the mould". The only thing I would suggest is to get a move on, as they will be getting very busy from here on in. I speak from first hand experience, as I'm starting my second year there this September. They have a great councilling service to help with many emotional situations as my mum died just before I first started. And they helped me a whole lot. Good luck with all your endeavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DBC893

Thank you guys for the replies. I'm feeling much better about the whole thing now. I'll get in touch with the IT shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭ronano

It might be a bit of a trek but the ucd access programme is great for supporting those who return to learning and if you get 60 percent or above are given a place on a degree course. I know it all seems like a big mountain to climb but trust me, 24 is nothing and you can achieve whatever goal you set yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

DBC893 wrote: »
    Thank you guys for the replies. I'm feeling much better about the whole thing now. I'll get in touch with the IT shortly.

Good stuff. And if you have any further questions to ask us, don't hesitate. Lots of experience with these things here on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LittleNicky86

DBC893 wrote: »
    Hello guys. Apologies in advance if this is not the best forum to post this in.

My story is basically this. I'm 24, soon to be 25 and I am looking for information on getting 'back to school'. I won't bore you with all the details, but when I was younger I went through a lot of things at home. I have always had to deal with anxiety issues as long as I can remember, but as a teen it got to the point where I broke. My parents divorced which made my anxiety so bad I struggled to go to school. My dad passed away not long after which was obviously devastating and has taken me, a very reserved guy (closed book I think is what they call us), a very long time to deal with on my own. I became extremely depressed, suicidal and my social anxiety spiralled into severe agoraphobia (the anxiety where you can't leave the house..). I dropped out of school in 3rd year. I was agoraphobic for years and while even now I rarely leave the house that is more to do with the fact I have no place to go more than anything.

I have not been back to school since I dropped out years ago. I always told myself I'll eventually learn to deal with everything I had going on and get back to school but it never happened. At 24, I think the ship has sailed when it comes to going back to classes and getting my leaving certificate, but I have to try to get myself out of this hole I have dug myself into.

What my options are is something I would like some help with. I have no idea who I should talk to about it but I'm ready to dedicate myself to whatever I need to do. I would love to someday go to college and earn a bachelors degree, maybe even go on to further education after that.

Should I be looking to go back to school in some capacity to get my leaving certificate or is that a stupid idea/not realistic at my age?

I would appreciate any advice you might have for me.

Thanks.

I am not sure what qualifications you hold or what you are interested but an access course might be good for you. I know TCD offer them as do so HEIs.

Access courses are very good to get you up to scratch. I did one and it was great.

I also second what others said above.

Well done on decided to go back and try again. Good luck :)

Advertisement