Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG G4 - Is it a good buy?

Options
  • 20-08-2017 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Thinking of buying an older model flagship phone new off amazon. Hoping to get one for not much dearer that a more recent midranger and hopefully habe better specs for the dame price.

Was looking initially at the Samsung Galaxy S6 for £350 but the came across a LG G4 new for £255 which seemed a really good price. On doing research into it the specs seem very good plus you can put a memory card into it and it has a good camera and processor.

The reviews were good apart from an alarming rate of people compaining about a bootloop issue which makes the phone useless. Would like peoples opinion or anyone who has a LG G4 to let me know is this such an issue with the G4 and its it really such a bargain as it seems.

TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I'm not sure I would at this stage. What are you really willing to spend first off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

LG G6 is $380 on eglobal

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Matty.C

sentient_6 wrote: »
    I'm not sure I would at this stage. What are you really willing to spend first off?

Around 300

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Matty.C

Erik Shin wrote: »
    LG G6 is $380 on eglobal

Does that have a bootlop problem aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭opus

I've had a G4 for two years now & can't fault it tbh. Main reason I got it originally is cause of the great camera & it's meant I've stopped taking a separate camera on hols. Not sure I'd buy one new now as the G6 has really dropped in price.

Expecting to get Android 7 in the next few months so that should extend its lifespan 'til next year for me anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,306 ✭✭✭AllForIt

It's a fantastic phone and not just because of the price. Just make sure it has a serial number of 701 onwards which indicates it was manufactured in January 2017 and is fairly certain not going to suffer the bootloop issue.

I love the textured leather back cover which is curved that makes this big phone very easy to handle in the hand. Rugged and non-slippy and no need for a case. I also love having the volume buttons on the back which I didn't think I'd like but once used to it a lot better imo.

It doesn't come with a fastcharger but I hightly recommend to get one as it takes a long time to charge on a regular charger. I have an external battery dock I bought for a couple of quid that is very useful. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fit-for-LG-G4-G5-F240-V10-Durable-Micro-USB-Charging-Dock-Battery-Charger-Cradle-/201724744247?var=&hash=item2ef7bb5237:m:mqbrENKmPlzSPyrl9CNWmcQ . I'd highly recommend having at least one spare battery.

This phone is way better than any mid range phone you can buy imo and I would recommend it more often if it wasn't for the fact I'd have to keep explaining the boot loop issue. I'm certain I'll have this phone for a good few years not least because spare parts including the screen can be gotten very cheaply and it's a very easy phone to disassemble and repair.

I used to own the S6 and got rid of it because the battery was dire and non removable. For a heavy user that's just a disaster. Couldn't recommend it. Although the camera is good it's not as good as the G4.

I really hope LG continue to make phones with the features and style of the G4. I think they should as if they make phones that are similar in style to the top end galaxy range like they did with the G6 then I think they won't sell as many units.

Edit: I should explain that I got mine on ebay, a refurbished unit for €170 in mint condition and thus was able to ask the seller in advance what the serial number of the device was before I bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

Erik Shin wrote: »
    LG G6 is $380 on eglobal

Got one 3 weeks ago, love it so far - no issues at all

Advertisement