Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Autism on the list of disabilities for applying for a Disabled Parking Permit

Options
  • 19-08-2017 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi I would like to know if Autism is a qualifying disability to apply for a Parking Permit under the Disabled Driver or Disabled Passenger Scheme. I am referring to my child who has Autism and also has Mild Cerebral Palsy. My child is unsteady walking and very clumsy but is not in a wheelchair. But he needs help in and out of the car as he would fall out or in otherwise. Also with the way in which Autism affects him. It is very dangerous for him as he has no sense of danger and no fear of moving vehicles. In fact he runs towards moving cars and gets really excited to see them. Therefore it would be alot safer to be able to park closer to the entrance to buildings so he could be brought into the buildings safely. Has anyone else successfully applied for a parking permit with a child or other passenger with similar disabilities?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

From

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2011/si/239/made/en/print

(2) In this article, ‘disabled person’ means a person with a permanent condition or disability that severely restricts his or her ability to walk.

I would expect you need a document to that effect from your doctor.

Apply here

http://www.iwa.ie/services/motoring/disabled-parking-permit-scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

My Mum has a blue badge because a cardiac problem has left her unable to walk very far.

Our son was a bolter when he was small (he has Aspergers) - thankfully he has grown out of it - but I used to park in the Parent and Child spots when I had him in the car. In some places the Parent and Child spaces are nearer to the door than the disabled spaces.

Just be aware, though, that you will find lots of people having a blatant disregard for the blue badge spaces. I take my Mum to most of her medical and other appointments and it can be very difficult to find a disabled space. They are often occupied by people who don't have a blue badge. I regularly find myself muttering that ignorance is not a disabling condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

No it is not a qualifying condition. Being a flight risk does not mean that you need the larger disability parking bays. It is for people with severe mobility or health issues and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,207 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Knine wrote: »
    No it is not a qualifying condition. Being a flight risk does not mean that you need the larger disability parking bays. It is for people with severe mobility or health issues and rightly so.

The poster was saying that he used the Parent and Child bays, not the disability bays, exactly what the P&C bays are intended for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

looksee wrote: »
    The poster was saying that he used the Parent and Child bays, not the disability bays, exactly what the P&C bays are intended for.

No he was actually asking if it qualified for a Parking Permit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement