Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farnham House, Finglas

Options
  • 19-08-2017 4:55pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone any ideas on where the records of this private asylum/hospital are stored, if they still exist?

I've found a death there of a distant ancestor in 1926. The description of her death is "burns 12 hours, shock 12 hours, certified" and I'm wondering if she was killed by electro-shock therapy, as awful as that sounds. Her sister was in Grangegorman for a long time, but never had treatment like that according to her medical records.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm pretty certain that ECT didn't exist as a regular medical procedure that early - it was a 1940s-60s thing mostly; can't help with the records unfortunately.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I've been reading about its history this afternoon and you're right, it's too early for it. I am relieved!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Shock is a major loss of blood pressure, usually caused by haemorrhage.
    Burns would result in loss of blood or plasma, hence shock. This has nothing to do with electric shock, or electroplexy.

If the coroner held an inquest, it may have been reported in the newspapers.

No mention of a coroner on the cert. I'll have to wait until I have a newspaper sub again.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I’m not so sure that a coroner would be involved?

The victim was badly burned so she would have been in shock mentally and physically. That would produce cardiac stress which contributes to the development of sepsis, multiple organ failure and often death. A doctor was called and the victim received medical treatment for 12 hours (per d. cert.) so the doctor was able to certify the cause of death. A doctor would hold the matron of such a home in high regard and would accept her word that ‘The patient went too near the fire and her clothes caught fire’ or ‘She dropped a pot of boiling water over her legs’ – the results were evident.

A coroner AFAIK becomes involved only when there is a sudden unexplained death (the Coroners Act is 1962, so the role in 1926 probably was defined in a Local Government Act?). As the cause of death was known the coroner might not have been asked to become involved.

However, the incident might be covered in a newspaper under a heading such as ‘Tragic Accident’.
    Poor woman.

• Advertisement

I have checked the newspapers now. There's nothing other than a death notice which mentions "private hospital" and no further details.
    I'm not a direct descendant but am in contact with them and have suggested they might try to obtain her medical file, if they still exist.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement