Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordering a "new" game on Gamestop.ie. Is it shrink-wrapped?

Options
  • 19-08-2017 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,655 ✭✭✭✭

I was in Gamestop in town about to pick up a "new" copy of a game when they offered me a cracked case that was unwrapped and had no manual etc.

I saw the price online was lower than the price in the shop (I assumed they would be the same) so I opted to purchase it online.

When ordering on the website, though, I can purchase a "new" copy. Is the version I get ordering through the website going to be a similarly "opened" case ?

The disc itself seemed new in both cases, but well, I'd like a new game to be.. well "new"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,575 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

It should be in plastic but never ordered from their online store so can't confirm but I have seen lately their 'new' shelves seem to be full of 2nd hand games but selling as full prices so it's a good thing to point out to double check if ye are buying there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,418 ✭✭✭Nollog

The prices differ because they're different stores. Both GameStop but they're not run by the same team.

Should come shrink wrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,655 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I ended up just getting the game in the store but swapped the cracked case for a new one. When I asked about whether the online order is a wrapped one they said that it's likely the very same unwrapped game would end up being the one shipped to me.

Bit odd, but the disc itself does appear brand new so not too bothered .

Also this game apparently doesn't come with a manual according to an unboxing video.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    The prices differ because they're different stores. Both GameStop but they're not run by the same team.

Should come shrink wrapped.

What I meant was that there was an online price and store price. When I opted to "Click and Collect" I paid the cheaper price online and then went back to the store and got the game at the cheaper rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭MissMayo

Any time that I have ordered a game from GameStop.ie it has arrived still in the shrink wrap, as far as I know they dispatch online orders from their warehouse so there's no reason for them to unwrap them. (Not saying that there's much of a reason for them to do it in store, but far less of a reason for them to do it in the warehouse as they don't need to advertise while avoiding theft there.)

I ordered Ninja Garden 3: Razor's Edge from them along with Vermintide when it was released and both games were still in the original wrapping, so I haven't only ordered new releases from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

mrcheez wrote: »
    Bit odd, but the disc itself does appear brand new so not too bothered .

I'd say the box was used as a display case while the disc and manual were stored behind the counter.

Notorious wrote: »
    I'd say the box was used as a display case while the disc and manual were stored behind the counter.

I think that was it alright, I'd say they do this with most new games, so perhaps others have experienced the same.

Note there is no manual with the game I got though, as it never ships with one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

giphy.gif

Res Evil 7 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

mrcheez wrote: »
    I think that was it alright, I'd say they do this with most new games, so perhaps others have experienced the same.

Note there is no manual with the game I got though, as it never ships with one.

I worked in Game back in the day and that was the system we followed. Two game boxes were put on the shop floor, with their discs and manuals kept behind the counter (most games don't have manuals now as you point out). Those two copies would've been the last two sold from stock. All other games were kept wrapped in plastic for sale.

Exciting insider information, I know!

Notorious wrote: »
    I worked in Game back in the day and that was the system we followed. Two game boxes were put on the shop floor, with their discs and manuals kept behind the counter (most games don't have manuals now as you point out). Those two copies would've been the last two sold from stock. All other games were kept wrapped in plastic for sale.

Exciting insider information, I know!

It was the last "new" copy they had alright. The used game was going for the same price! So a good deal in the end.

Advertisement