Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Online Backup for server

Options
  • 19-08-2017 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭

HI

I have a server with approx 150 gig and need to get a good online backup solution to backup this data daily, also that will give me the option to restore back up to 1 month

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I always use AWS S3 for things like this.

https://aws.amazon.com/s3/pricing/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

HI

can you tell me more about this, how do you backup to AWS? do they provide software to upload / sync my data from the server there?

I just use the AWS CLI but there are loads of 3rd party apps you can also use.

https://aws.amazon.com/getting-started/tutorials/backup-to-s3-cli/

Is it a VM
    What OS is it. 2008, 2008 R2, etc//

Altaro is great for VMs, offsite with a local repo to spin back to,,,

You can do ASR or AWS, basically pay for blob storage using a 3rd party software.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

We use Azure Backup. It's excellent. Especially the unfortunately named ARS, which allows you to replicate your server VMs to the cloud.

• Advertisement

NoDrama wrote: »
    Is it a VM
    What OS is it. 2008, 2008 R2, etc//

Altaro is great for VMs, offsite with a local repo to spin back to,,,

You can do ASR or AWS, basically pay for blob storage using a 3rd party software.

It is a storage service so not servers involved. You can access it via web or many cli options.

Here is a very simple example on how to sync "d:\folder" from local device to to your S3 location.

@echo off
    aws configure set AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP
    aws configure set AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY 12345678901234567890
    aws configure set default.region eu-west-1
    aws s3 sync D:\FOLDER s3://mys3location --delete --sse AES256
    exit

cool thanks, how much would it cost for 200 gig and keep 30 days of change?

approx
    Thanks

S3 costs between $0.0125 and $0.023 per GB per month so just x that by you 200GB

so between $2.50 and $4.60 per month + any incremental differences.

You will also have some basic request charges but these should be tiny.

https://aws.amazon.com/s3/pricing/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I'm using a local company KeepITSafe. that speaks my language and can be seen and phone called in ... Dublin's English !

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

We use Azure Backup. It's excellent. Especially the unfortunately named ARS, which allows you to replicate your server VMs to the cloud.

+1 for Windows Azure. It's very good. We use it for Windows workstations too, just works.

• Advertisement

Hi Mr G

can you tell me more about Azure ? I have 1 x physical server and about 150 gigs of data

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

With the demise of CP I'm in a similar boat. 2008R2 in home use, 850GB to push, no budget for SME pricing. S3 would be almost twice the price of CP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Backblaze B2 might be a good option (paired with something like Cloudberry) - haven't personally used it yet but toying with trying it out for a couple of months out of sheer curiosity. Pricing is roughly 5$ per TB, from what I remember.
    I'm using Backblaze personal backup at the moment - pushing files from various machines (desktop, laptop, phones etc.) to a server, and running the backblaze client from there. A little cumbersome, but works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I've gone the route of 2 servers hyper v and with veeam replication and hourly and daily backup to a 48terabyte synology nas and I've ordered a second nas that I'll keep at home for offsite backup that will happen during the night. For our companies it was capex vs opex. A one off cost of about 2000 euro and some electricity, vs 1500 euro per year approx for what we needed.

Advertisement