Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law:PLC or Repeat

Options
  • 18-08-2017 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi Guys I just got my leaving cert results there on Wednesday and unfortunately didn't get the results I wanted.

I was hoping to do the BCL Law and Society in DCU it was 450 last year however I only got 397.The lowest points Law course on my CAO is DIT and it was 425 last year. So it looks unlikely I'll get a CAO Lvl. 8 offer.

I was hoping to do Law but I'm not sure what to do now. I know people who have repeated their leaving for the course they wanted however there is also the option of a Pre-University Law PLC. Has anyone ever done one of these before if so was it worth it or is repeating the best option. All suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 alexandrrax7

Gerard 500 wrote: »
    Hi Guys I just got my leaving cert results there on Wednesday and unfortunately didn't get the results I wanted.

I was hoping to do the BCL Law and Society in DCU it was 450 last year however I only got 397.The lowest points Law course on my CAO is DIT and it was 425 last year. So it looks unlikely I'll get a CAO Lvl. 8 offer.

I was hoping to do Law but I'm not sure what to do now. I know people who have repeated their leaving for the course they wanted however there is also the option of a Pre-University Law PLC. Has anyone ever done one of these before if so was it worth it or is repeating the best option. All suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    I am in the same boat as you, I wanted exactly the same course and I got two points more than you.PLC seems like a great option but make sure that the PLC you want to go to is linked to DCU and has the possibility for you to apply to that course.For example Whitehall College does. But then again, it is one year, and you still have to pass your modules.If you don't, then.Anyway, it's great since you do one year of the thing you like and it prepares you for college, unlike the Leaving Cert where you are forced to do Maths and Irish even tho you do not have a passion for it.I would go with repeating if you do not mind another year of studying, that's what I am doing.Points are due to drop this year too..You can repeat externally. Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Hulgerx10

I am in the same boat as you, I wanted exactly the same course and I got two points more than you.PLC seems like a great option but make sure that the PLC you want to go to is linked to DCU and has the possibility for you to apply to that course.For example Whitehall College does. But then again, it is one year, and you still have to pass your modules.If you don't, then.Anyway, it's great since you do one year of the thing you like and it prepares you for college, unlike the Leaving Cert where you are forced to do Maths and Irish even tho you do not have a passion for it.I would go with repeating if you do not mind another year of studying, that's what I am doing.Points are due to drop this year too..You can repeat externally. Good luck

Yeah I agree that OP is better off repeating than doing a PLC. The Leaving Cert is not too difficult if you work consistently.

However, points for Law at DCU is increasing quite drastically over the past few years, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it gets to 470-480 this year. Also, the demand for law this year has increased by 9 percent which isn't a good sign...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you repeat the Leaving and get the necessary points, you get a place. If you do a PLC and get the required number of distinctions, you are in with a chance of one of the reserved places for PLC entrants, but you are not guaranteed a place, so repeating is your best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Chilli Con Kearney

Another option could be to put a course like business and law DIT (dt321) on your cao next year or even do a business plc now to try get into it next year.

Advertisement