Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I set up a VPN server on Eir F2000 router?

Options
  • 18-08-2017 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

Hello,

I wasn't sure if I should start a whole new thread for this so here goes...

Does anyone know if the Eir F2000 has a VPN server on it or can one be put on it?

I have Eir fibre with an Eir F2000 router. It's working fine. I keep reading about how VPNs are the way to go. For instance I've read that you should never use public Wifi but instead use it to connect to your home internet connection via a VPN ensuring your web browsing is over a secure connection.

Here's where my understanding is flaky... I think what I need is to have an actual VPN server running on my home router. Some routers have OpenVPN installed on the actual router.

When I log in to the routers web interface I see a section for VPN but I think the options there are like clients which allow you to connect to other VPNs.

Other options I guess are to use the Eir F2000 just as a modem and buy another router but what a shame to need two pieces of hardware draining electricity to get that functionality? Also.. I think I could put OpenVPN on a Raspberry Pi and connect it to the F2000... at least I think so.

Any ideas much appreciated !

Flex

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Use a Pi or NUC or Compute stick etc. The F2000 doesn't do it, no ISP provided gear ever would.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

Thanks.

Do you plug the NUC or Compute Stick (running a suitable OS) into the F2000? Then install a VPN on the OS... is that the idea?

Why would ISPs not provide routers with built in VPN Servers? No matter how much I read about VPNs I never really fully understand them..

Cheers,

Flex

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Isp: Doesn't want to support them, doesn't want to pay for the extra traffic it would facilitate (they pay per Gb even when you don't).

TBH the pi is the best option, but any of them are the same idea. Just a very simple server.

Advertisement