Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I didn't get the points I needed in my leaving cert and I don't know what to do!

Options
  • 18-08-2017 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I'll try make this as short as possible. The course I was hoping for was Social Science in Maynooth which is 375 points... unfortunately I only managed 266 points. I'm absolutely devastated. It was difficult to get the points I wanted as I only did 6 subjects and 2 were ordinary level. I have a place in a plc course which is a link to the course I want but I always hear how difficult it is to get into a level 8 course through a plc course. If I didn't get it the following year I would have nothing. I'm out of my mind worrying. Can I have some advice please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Aoibh874

I did my leaving cert, I was quite far out from my choice. Got 350, first choice was Acc & Finance in DCU. I was devastated like yourself, cut up for days until the offers came out. Turns out I had put a level 6 business course on my CAO also, and after research I discovered I could eventually get my level 8 Acc& Finance in DIT, it would take me 3 years instead of 4. So that's what I decided to do. But it didn't sit right with me, either facing extortionate rents in Dublin (this was 2011) or long hours commuting. Accounting and Finance in Dundalk came on available places- a level 8, 3 year course.. so I said I'd go for it, going against moving to Dublin for college with all my friends.. I was terrified!!! Hands down the best decision I ever made- all because I knew it was exactly what I wanted to do and I found the quickest way I could to get there. Watching my friends through the years and work their way through various courses and drop out and change etc, all I can say is it's most important to know what you actually want to do. I don't particularly adore Accounting but I knew I was good at it- with a degree in it I always had something to fall back on/find work in. It's the most daunting time of your life- just know the areas you excel at/enjoy & work from there. There is always a way around things- start looking at your areas of interest & then your options from there!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

I'll try make this as short as possible. I struggled with mental health issues during sixth year therefore I missed out on a lot of school and study. The course I was hoping for was Social Science in Maynooth which is 375 points... unfortunately I only managed 266 points. I'm absolutely devastated. It was difficult to get the points I wanted as I only did 6 subjects and 2 were ordinary level. I have a place in a plc course which is a link to the course I want but I always hear how difficult it is to get into a level 8 course through a plc course. If I didn't get it the following year I would have nothing. I'm out of my mind worrying. Can I have some advice please?

What career do you envision with social science?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Ciarajohnstone

judeboy101 wrote: »
    What career do you envision with social science?

I'm hoping for social worker😊

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

I'm hoping for social worker😊

That's a very very tough and stressful job, you might want to reread your 2nd sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Chilli Con Kearney

Could you do a general pre university arts plc? Give yourself a year to develop, learn a bit about studying at third level but also give yourself the option to choose from a wide variety of subjects next year if you did arts/humanities/social science perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 laurac248

Aoibh874 wrote: »
    I did my leaving cert, I was quite far out from my choice. Got 350, first choice was Acc & Finance in DCU. I was devastated like yourself, cut up for days until the offers came out. Turns out I had put a level 6 business course on my CAO also, and after research I discovered I could eventually get my level 8 Acc& Finance in DIT, it would take me 3 years instead of 4. So that's what I decided to do. But it didn't sit right with me, either facing extortionate rents in Dublin (this was 2011) or long hours commuting. Accounting and Finance in Dundalk came on available places- a level 8, 3 year course.. so I said I'd go for it, going against moving to Dublin for college with all my friends.. I was terrified!!! Hands down the best decision I ever made- all because I knew it was exactly what I wanted to do and I found the quickest way I could to get there. Watching my friends through the years and work their way through various courses and drop out and change etc, all I can say is it's most important to know what you actually want to do. I don't particularly adore Accounting but I knew I was good at it- with a degree in it I always had something to fall back on/find work in. It's the most daunting time of your life- just know the areas you excel at/enjoy & work from there. There is always a way around things- start looking at your areas of interest & then your options from there!!

How did you find Dundalk, in terms of the college and the night life?? I'm moving up there in two weeks, all the way from Galway and I'd love to hear about your experience :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I'll try make this as short as possible. The course I was hoping for was Social Science in Maynooth which is 375 points... unfortunately I only managed 266 points. I'm absolutely devastated. It was difficult to get the points I wanted as I only did 6 subjects and 2 were ordinary level. I have a place in a plc course which is a link to the course I want but I always hear how difficult it is to get into a level 8 course through a plc course. If I didn't get it the following year I would have nothing. I'm out of my mind worrying. Can I have some advice please?

It's impossible to say as it is a case of supply and demand. There may be a lot of people who apply for the course with a PLC and like the CAO places will be awarded based on points. Also like the CAO, it can go to random selection for PLC entrants too.

Have you considered repeating and taking up two new subjects to replace your two ordinary level subjects? It might be easier to pick up 120 or so points that way. You didn't mention what subjects you did in your post.
    judeboy101 wrote: »
    That's a very very tough and stressful job, you might want to reread your 2nd sentence.

Is that really necessary? Mental health issues are wide ranging and may have no bearing on her ability to do a job. Presumably she has an idea of what social work involves.

Advertisement