Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Drivers Permit

Options
  • 18-08-2017 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭

Ever got one?

Ever been asked for one?

I paid and applied for one last year but it became the only thing An Post ever lost for me. (odd)

Never had to use it but I'd rather have it and not need it.:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

It's only an interpretation of your own driving licence, not really much use. Most jurisdictions would recognise a EU driving licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Unless you're going somewhere where the Latin alphabet is not used like the middle East, the far East or north Africa it's completely useless and a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

New style credit card license helps a bit more abroad, they dont laugh as much as the old paper license.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Had one when I travelled to Russia, was never asked for it. But don't go without one if it is a requirement

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

I've been all over Europe with an American license, driving my own vehicles and rentals - never once asked for a permit, just my license.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

Had to get one in Korea, essential there, only cost about $60.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 omagh776

Never needed it, bloody money spinner.

It's in English so accepted pretty much everywhere

Even the Cops in Sri Lanka at a random stop where like "What did you get that for your license is in English"

Advertisement