Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumber quotation question

Options
  • 18-08-2017 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I'm looking for a plumber to attach an Ikea under sink drawers cabinet with sink on top and change three taps (two bathroom and kitchen sink). I have been quoted almost €500 for this, which seems really high. Would anyone have any experience of how much this kind of job should cost? Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

I had a plumber move a pipe, remove and fit a radiator and do a 1st fix/final fix (different days) on a kitchen install for €400 so that seems VERY steep to me unless there's a load of pipe work involved under the sink?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

pm1977x wrote: »
    I had a plumber move a pipe, remove and fit a radiator and do a 1st fix/final fix (different days) on a kitchen install for €400 so that seems VERY steep to me unless there's a load of pipe work involved under the sink?

I don't think we are talking like for like here. Can I assume said plumber forgot to give you a proper VAT receipt?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

To be honest OP, go by "the rule of 3"
    Quote 3 different plumbers to know what an acceptable price is.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I don't think we are talking like for like here. Can I assume said plumber forgot to give you a proper VAT receipt?

Incorrect assumption.

pm1977x wrote: »
    Incorrect assumption.

An actual VAT receipt? Headed paper, numbered invoice with his VAT number on it? I'm sorry but I don't actually believe that.
    2 separate days for €350 plus VAT doesn't add up

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    An actual VAT receipt? Headed paper, numbered invoice with his VAT number on it? I'm sorry but I don't actually believe that.
    2 separate days for €350 plus VAT doesn't add up

Believe what you want but I'm looking at it right now, yes to all of the above - I'm freelance myself so I know what a proper VAT invoice looks like.

It was only approx 4-5 hours over the 2 days if I remember correctly, €80 quid an hour seems fair to me - is that very cheap?

You call it 4 to 5 hours. How many hours do you think he actually put in? Travel time, queuing at trade counter, fittings he took out of the van and did not charge for?
    You'll got a bargain. 

Edit: he had to drain the heating system to move /fit a rad. He must have put fresh inhibitor in when he filled the system. This protects the boiler. Possibly another 40 euro there. Very cheap price

Advertisement